The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zenith 26va Carb. Float - sunk!
(16-01-2019, 01:47 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: I did exactly this before Christmas to three floats and took them apart at the same time to repair dents. The float is sealed to the bottom with a blob of solder. With a 2mm drill bit, drill this out. There's already a hole behind the solder. With a bit of shaking, you can then drain the contents. Boil in a kettle and then let it stand for 24 hours and then carefully melt the solder around the seam using a small gas soldering torch. It requires minimal heat for it to separate. Once split, you can clean the two halves and press out any dents.

To re-assemble, hold each half in turn in aluminium soft jaws in the vice (gently!), heat around the solder to the rim and wipe excess away. Once done, you'll find that the two halves can be fitted back together and then, again, holding the float gently in the soft jaws, heat the seam and run new solder into the joint. You can do about a third of the circumference at one go, turning the float to get to the next third. Finally, a blob of solder into the hole in the bottom and job done.

I should say that I don't have any cars that use Zenith carbs these days but I did have some duff floats. My aim was to respond to a challenge from Charles Ping who said he didn't think it was easy to do Shy

Steve

I've just had a shake of the float over some blue paper and yep. it's leaking from the bottom solder and from the solder around the circumference. 

So as this carb. has been fitted to my car for 20+ years I'm going to blame the EU and the Ethanol unleaded petrol. Angry

Now I'll have to smarten up on my soldering

Messages In This Thread
Zenith 26va Carb. Float - sunk! - by DaveT - 16-01-2019, 11:14 AM
RE: Zenith 26va Carb. Float - sunk! - by JonE - 16-01-2019, 11:25 AM
RE: Zenith 26va Carb. Float - sunk! - by Chris KC - 16-01-2019, 11:35 AM
RE: Zenith 26va Carb. Float - sunk! - by bob46320 - 16-01-2019, 11:38 AM
RE: Zenith 26va Carb. Float - sunk! - by DaveT - 16-01-2019, 03:15 PM