The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Assembling 1938/39 rear axle casing
(30-09-2017, 12:25 AM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote:
(29-09-2017, 11:54 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(29-09-2017, 03:16 PM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: Dennis,

I would be very careful using AFMT in a ball or roller bearing (even their website doesn't seem to suggest this) because they are antifriction bearings-  but they rely on a modicum of internal friction to 'roll' correctly- any slippage of the balls/rollers can cause 'smearing' of the tracks.

The crown and pinion are plain spiral bevel and only have rolling contact so a good thick lubricant suffices here.

20 years as a lube engineer made me very suspicious of any magic fluids- not much of it about since Merlin died.

Cheers, Tony.

Thanks tony.
Attached is the SINTEF lab report which you would be able to understand more fully than I so any further observations would be welcome.  Merlin's home town,Tintagel, is not far down the road across the border in Cornwall so I ought to pop down and see if he is home and can enlighten  Big Grin

I think that proves my point- reduced friction ! Note that the tests are metal on metal simulating plain bearings not rolling or anti-friction bearings. 

Regarding the use of extra additives in motor oil - all current reputable oils are all made from either a synthetic or mineral base oil with upwards  of 15-20% additives - all carefully balanced to work harmoniously together.
The addition of another package of additives can cause problems with the functioning of the original additive package.
Plus I would think the additive suppliers would have investigated most available friction reducing additives to combine with the various other additives to  get the optimum result.

Cheers, Tony.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Assembling 1938/39 rear axle casing - by Tony Press - 30-09-2017, 02:51 AM