The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Assembling 1938/39 rear axle casing
(29-09-2017, 08:57 AM)Bob Culver Wrote:  Nails can be filed to length as rigid precision internal gauges.  Or can turn up test plugs or rings  to determine exact size and shape and for easy comparison. Are the housings clean and unbruised? The ball race edges to the radius can be eased. Tony, or Machinerys Handbook etc can provide typical recommended fits. Very slight easing may not be a crime.

If intending to drive anything Seven based with 70bhp (net!) I would not anticipate a long driving future either!

Will sort out my tin of old nails and have an experiment. However elastic micrometer (or is it me ?) does not fill me with confidence!!!!

Long future
It has lasted around 60,000 miles with old engine 948cc about 45 bhp which has included mostly road use and also a few Classic (MCC) trials.  New  engine 1275 (breakers yard 40,000 miles from crashed car) it was available and reasonable priced to replace 948, which broke 1 piston/rings, and is virtually same external physical dimensions and almost direct fit exchange - givs about 65 BHP. (+ bit extra for a mild cam to be fitted).

Death of pinion thrust ball races .....about 12 thou end float found in pinion......probably more due to old age wear than excessive power?  Now that I will be using the AFMT (Prolong/Synionic) there will be even less friction/heat/wear so longer life.

Age and sensitivity will dictate that I really will be gentle as possible with my baby!
Interest is in economy, reliability over long distance runs and being able to keep up with motorway traffic as required so as not to be a hazard and to be able to drive out of a hazard if needs be rather than boy racer.

I hope and think it will outlast me!  Smile
Dennis

Messages In This Thread
RE: Assembling 1938/39 rear axle casing - by Dennis Nicholas - 29-09-2017, 03:16 PM