The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half Shaft replacement AG tourer 1932
Thanks Stuart

Sevens are full of surprises. Fatigue cracks often curve around bruises and other areas of compression. It was this observation that lead to rolling, peining etc as a counter measure! 
I have never had an axle fail and all the terribly battered ones I have acquired would have still been “mobile “ , with none broken across. On one, key shaped chunks either side of the key have gone completely! Presumably many fail across , I guess more usually at the end of the key.
Screw cutting in a lathe is a chore for those not practised but presumably this is how you cut the threads.

I have mentioned before, but when my car was in everyday use a young apprentice a few doors away ran a terrible Ruby. He decided to venture far out of town and encountered problems. So he called at my fathers home where he knew there were tools to attend to a rear hub. The keyway was so wrecked he had trouble balancing the key in place to assemble. My father was somewhat  meticulous in matters mechanical and could scarcely believe his eyes. It went another 100 miles.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Half Shaft replacement AG tourer 1932 - by Bob Culver - 07-06-2018, 10:39 AM