The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting SU Mixture
John, your set-up sounds very similar to mine - I'm also using 1.25" SU (AUD13) with an AN needle & an SU pump.

I'm not sure it's optimal but it certainly runs OK. Yes, always choke from cold (by which I mean cold engine, regardless of weather). It needs a bit of a warm up before you can let the choke out. However once warm I've never had a problem starting. In fact hot or cold one swing of the handle is all it needs. I seem to recall setting the mixture up by taking it for short drives and inspecting plug colour on return - that was years ago though when petrol was petrol.

If the plugs are normally black (and it's not oil) then you are running too rich. Make sure you've done a few miles though before checking or they'll still be black from running on choke. Should be a sandy colour.

If I have engine starting or running problems the ignition system is always my first port of call, and points are top of the list.

Messages In This Thread
Setting SU Mixture - by John P - 26-05-2018, 04:35 PM
RE: Setting SU Mixture - by Chris KC - 26-05-2018, 06:17 PM
RE: Setting SU Mixture - by Ian Williams - 26-05-2018, 09:42 PM
RE: Setting SU Mixture - by Charles Levien - 31-05-2018, 11:15 AM