The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear shocks
Hi All,

My son and I returned from the 90th Anniversary week and I can proudly say he is now a prewar convert! We have been working on finishing my Ulster Rep. A few things have cropped up. One concerns the rear shocks. The chassis is a short wheel base one, but with the rear axle changed to the wider later one. It was done fairly well. But the shocks are a bit of a dog's dinner. As they came, there were no brass disks and only one spring cup which was on the nut side with the raised portion facing outward. The nut was a nylock. According to Woodrow, there should be two spring cups, with the raised portions facing into the spring, I presume to help locate it. However, when I reversed the one existing spring cup, the ID of the spring was too small to accept the raised portion of the spring cup. So, it appears that I have springs with too small an ID to accept the raised portion of the spring cup. These could be aftermarket springs that are stiffer as the car was once raced, hence the mods with the semi girling brakes, wider rear axle, boxed chassis, etc.

Should I reassemble with the one spring cup reversed as it apparently once worked well, or get new springs and spring cups and assemble as stock. Another question is how much tension on the spring? We've set both at 15 psi.

Erich in Seattle

Messages In This Thread
Rear shocks - by Erich - 20-09-2024, 03:17 AM
RE: Rear shocks - by Howard Wright - 20-09-2024, 07:51 AM
RE: Rear shocks - by Chris Garner - 20-09-2024, 04:46 PM