The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
self compensating brakes
(13-09-2024, 02:30 PM)JohnD Wrote: I have a new project, a SWB Chummy, that has been fitted with an unusual brake set up.

Front brakes are rod type, operated by bowden cables

Rear brakes are operated by single cable that is run around a pulley that in theory will compensate and balance both rear brakes to operate equally.

The condition of the set up needs to be looked at and replaced, i would like to keep it due to the history, style and nature of the car and in theory should work well. 

I have looked through several "special" building books i have, and there is no mention of this type of system, lookign back old posts online there is nothing really i can find for advie on the set up or benefits.

Has anyone come across a simialr sytem, or know if it being described in any publications?

I will get some photos over the weekend of the set up

I used to run a rear brake set up like that. It pulled from the centre of the brake cross shaft and went over pulleys mounted on the rear cross member to each rear hub. Very good at neutralising the effect of twist in the brake cross shaft. I stole the idea from Reg Nice but I doubt he was the inventor.

Messages In This Thread
self compensating brakes - by JohnD - 13-09-2024, 02:30 PM
RE: self compensating brakes - by Charles P - 13-09-2024, 02:52 PM