The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Clutch question
Hi Hurvinek

Your clutch problem sounds very similar to the one I have just had on my 3 speed gearbox. If the clutch toggle levers have been set too high, when the gearbox is bolted to the bell housing they are slightly compressed and start to actuate the clutch. Just slightly but enough to cause slip.

A known way of dealing with this is to put a washer between the bell housing and gearbox on each of the studs.  This pulls the clutch release bearing back from the toggles by a small amount and allows the clutch to bite properly.  

Unfortunately on my van (which is based on a Chummy floor pan) I couldn’t pull the gearbox far enough back to allow full washers to go over the studs.  I could have moved the engine forward but by the time I had removed the radiator, crankcase bolts etc etc I might as well have had the engine out. So I decided to separate the gearbox and bell housing as far as possible and then fit ‘horseshoe’ shaped washers that could be clipped onto the exposed stud shank. It seems to have worked and my clutch is operating well now. Although this is a temporary fix as I am hoping to rebuild the gearbox in the near future.

When you do attempt to solve the clutch slip make sure the clutch pedal has a slight amount of free play before it starts to operate the clutch.

Hope this helps.

Howard

Messages In This Thread
Clutch question - by Hurvinek - 13-08-2024, 06:52 PM
RE: Clutch question - by Howard Wright - 13-08-2024, 07:19 PM