The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
What have I done with my Austin Seven today? Well, had it to bits again.

Those of you who have paid any attention to my posts will be aware that, a few weeks ago, I had the engine to bits to cure a little end rattle. Since then the car has not had much use (for me that is) having covered about 300 miles or so.

As it had not been out for a week, I took it to LLangollen about a week ago, and was dismayed to discover that it had developed a faint but noticeable big end rattle when warm. I nursed it home and, on Thursday, stripped the sump off to see what was amiss. Thankfully, there were no silver bits in the oil and the gauze filter had none either. However, I did notice several bits of silicone sealer on it. All the big ends were tight with no discernible play, but I took each one apart to examine the bearing material. All was well with no scoring or other worrying marks. The oil pressure had been normal, but I poked the oil jets through anyway to make sure they were clear. They were.

Almost on a whim, given the presence of bits of silicone in the gauze, I tried pumping pumping oil from my oilcan through the drillings from the oil troughs to the crank pins and found that the drilling to No 1 big end was partially blocked. After much poking about with bits of wire and a small plastic cable tie (the passage appears to have two right angles in it), and flushing it copiously with brake cleaner, I got it clear, but nothing untoward came out, or, if it did, I must have missed it.

As I had not had a clear run at the job, being called off almost hourly by Leon, who was having fun trying to get the brakes to work on his Beetle, fitting all new brake cylinders including the master cylinder, new shoes and springs etc., it was almost 10.00 pm by the time the little car was back together again. I tried it ' round the block' (about five miles) and the rattle appeared to have gone. Took it to Wrexham yesterday, doing about 80 miles and all appeared to be well, with only the usual funny noises, mostly from the fan which, despite my best ministrations, has rattled ever since I have owned the car.

Although i have no proof, I suspect from finding silicon debris on the gauze, that a small piece of silicon had somehow found its way into the crank The last time the engine was apart, I used blue Hylomar and I think I shall stick to that  (no pun intended) in the future.

Incidentally, any suggestions as to how to deal with the fan rattle would be gratefully received.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by David Stepney - 03-08-2024, 12:48 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM