The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Ruby owner - an introduction
Hi Ruby 728

To answer your points:

Carb adjustment. The idle setting needs constant fiddling to keep it running when you come to a stop or to get it to actually move without bogging and stalling. If the plunger is pushed all the way in, it will sometimes idle but it'll start to stall as soon as it's under load.

By plunger I guess you mean the choke used for cold starting. The first part of its movement also raises the idling speed. Once the engine is warm and the choke is fully in, idling speed is set instead by the idling speed screw (throttle stop) on the carb. Try screwing this clockwise a little to open the throttle disc slightly.

Battery drain. I left the battery plugged in overnight and it was completely flat the next morning. So far, I'm just disconnecting it when I leave it.

Something wrong here. Possibly the dynamo cutout (mounted on the bulkhead, driver's side) is at fault and not opening when the dynamo stops generating.

Small coolant leak. Maybe from the bottom of the radiator by the hose there. Nothing major

Discussed in your other post

Oil drips. Seems to drip off the sump plug mostly, but I think it's just coming from all around the sump.

A normal part of Seven life, and what stops the chassis rusting ! In the longer term, replace gaskets with modern silicone rubber ones.

Wiper - motor seems to run fine, but only moves the arm about half an inch. Also the wiper is parked hanging down the screen

Probably wear in the internals of the motor. Look out for a less worn one. For an idea of the internals, see this article https://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Arti...20Improve/

Fuel gauge is permanently on empty.

A common issue, most likely to be the sender in the tank. This is inacccessible without tank removal (major faff) or cutting a hole in the floor above (faff) which is why this fault is often not dealt with. Most people resort to a dipstick made of a long piece of slightly bendy plastic. The tank holds 5 gallons (23 litres). Dont fill it right up to the cutoff point of a modern pump or it will spill out of the breather tube, or the rubber section of the filler neck if that's not properly sealed.

Speedometer is very inaccurate - reading about a third higher than it should. When it shows 40, that's a true 30, for example.

The speedo typically over-reads a bit, but not by that much. On the speedo face it should say 1040 which is the revolutions per mile of the speedo cable. Possibly someone has substituted a speedo from a different car.

Good luck !

Messages In This Thread
New Ruby owner - an introduction - by Ruby728 - 31-07-2024, 05:33 PM
RE: New Ruby owner - an introduction - by Ruby728 - 01-08-2024, 09:04 PM
RE: New Ruby owner - an introduction - by John Cornforth - 02-08-2024, 06:30 PM
RE: New Ruby owner - an introduction - by Ruby728 - 03-08-2024, 12:40 PM