The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SU Fuel Pumps and a question about ignition points
Hi

The simple answer is no, the ignition points condenser can't be replaced by a varistor (voltage dependent resistor).

To give more detail, the ignition condenser's main job is to temporarily store energy from the coil immediately after the points open, which is then rapidly released back as useful energy into the ignition system. A varistor would just turn it into heat, and reduce the spark energy. The condenser and the coil primary inductance form a resonant system. The resonance frequency is not ultra critical, and although the normal condenser value is 0.2 microfarads I have found only a small reduction in performance with 0.1 or 0.4 microfarads. A beneficial side effect of the condenser is a considerable reduction (but not complete elimination) of the arcing at the points.

I should say at this point that as I have never actually tried a varistor across the ignition points I can't be 100% certain of the above - maybe someone of enquiring mind could try it and report back !

Messages In This Thread
RE: SU Fuel Pumps and a question about ignition points - by John Cornforth - 18-06-2024, 06:41 PM