The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enamel and Cellulose paint history/practice
Good to read Adam's post thanks. I only posted that ref. to cellulose as a present ebay listing was (cut and paste from ad follows) "Craftmaster Coach Enamel is high quality, highly pigmented paint designed specifically for brush application is a highly authentic cellulose paint designed specifically for Automotive Use. In the right hands comparable results can be achieved to spray finishes. Please note product takes 6 weeks to fully harden so whilst rubbing down and overcoating can take place within 24hrs if you intend to cut back and polish you should wait until the end of the 6 week period
Best results are achieved with the addition of our PPA Brushing Additive. This product can also be sprayed with the addition of Synthetic Thinners"
...so that confused me further but perhaps is slightly miss-cut text, after reading this post?
I was certainly surprised to come across the Wilson's paint (Exmouth) with them saying "just use white spirit". I'm guessing their royal coaches painted are old horse drawn things, but it certainly spreads well - I've just brushpainted direct on steel metal without primer, as per what it feels like the original paint was from the panels I've cleaned back. (I'm not going to do that on aluminium, but my gut feel is that cheap cars like the Seven had a lot, lot less paint on in the twenties). Advice was just AAAA wirewool before second coat, but then don't do anything afterwards. Think there was something about 10% white spirit thin if needed.
Just looked at Source book - p116 - it's referring to a changed cellulose process for 1927... not a new process. One picks these snippets but it's difficult to find actual evidence, as others above refer to. One of the Rinsey Mills very early cars LOOKS stove enamelled (in its degree of reflectivity), but is it original paint?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Enamel and Cellulose paint history/practice - by JonE - 12-06-2024, 10:48 PM