The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby's electric problems
Trying to sort out Ruby's electric's problems I have started by removing the Lucas PLC2 Ignition switch from the dash so it is now out on the kitchen table.
Not being a sparky, I searched the forum for help and found a technical paper published by the Cornwall A7 group, this gave details of testing the PLC2 switch for faults.
I hope I have followed each of the tests in order as presented in the technical paper using a circuit tester to check the switch and detail the results below:

No circuit is indicated between A & D with the ignition either switched on or off.
No circuit is indicated between A & D with the light switch in all four position, 1, 2, Side or Head. This was also checked with the ignition in both on and off positions.
With the light switch at position 1 no circuit is indicated between D & F1 or D & F2.  
With the light switch in position 2 & Side a circuit is indicated between D & F1 but no circuit is indicated D & F2.  
With the light switch in position Head there is no circuit indicated between D & F1 but there is a circuit between D & F2.
With the light switch position 1 & 2 no circuit is indicated between A, T & H.
With the light switch in position Side there is a circuit between A & T but no circuit between A & H.
With the light switch in position Head there is a circuit between A & T, A & H and T & H.
With the ignition switched on there is a circuit between the IG terminal and the centre A terminal.

I believe that this is all the tests that the technical paper listed and I think it indicates that my ignition switch would be sound ?? ........or not ??

However when we were about to leave, I know that when I turned the ignition on the fuel gauge did not always come on and more disturbingly the fuel gauge did move when the light switch was operated, is this a switch or an earthing issue ??

If anyone can shed any additional advice it would be gratefully received.

I will now start checking all the wiring on the indicator circuit including all the earthing circuits, probably not until early next week.

Cheers for now
Denis S

Messages In This Thread
Ruby's electric problems - by Denis Sweeney - 07-06-2024, 08:33 PM
RE: Ruby's electric problems - by John Cornforth - 07-06-2024, 10:28 PM
RE: Ruby's electric problems - by Denis Sweeney - 10-06-2024, 07:33 PM
RE: Ruby's electric problems - by John Cornforth - 11-06-2024, 09:30 AM
RE: Ruby's electric problems - by Bob Kneale - 11-06-2024, 11:03 PM
RE: Ruby's electric problems - by Denis Sweeney - 12-06-2024, 09:36 AM
RE: Ruby's electric problems - by John Cornforth - 12-06-2024, 10:55 AM
RE: Ruby's electric problems - by Bob Kneale - 12-06-2024, 12:34 PM
RE: Ruby's electric problems - by Denis Sweeney - 13-06-2024, 08:14 PM