The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mulliner Coupe
Today I came across a copy of quite a rare little book, "Railway Architecture" by Christian Barman, published in 1950.  Obviously there's nothing in it concerning Austin 7s except that a photograph of the frontage of Carlisle Citadel Station tantalizingly shows the rear half of a Mulliner Coupe, beautifully illuminated in bright sunlight whilst the main subject of the photo is in dull shadow. We're used to seeing chummies, box saloons and Rubies in old photos but a Mulliner coupe must be unusual. There is no reference to photographer or date, but the waiting porters appear to be wearing the new style British Railways uniforms introduced c1948/1949. The nameboard above the arches has been blacked out, perhaps in preparation for the new "British Railways" title and totem motif, replacing the previous "London Midland and Scottish Railway" following nationalisation on January 1st 1948.
The number plate is difficult to read in the grainy photo, certainly "HH", followed by something like 4245 I thought.  Research showed "HH" was issued by Carlisle Licensing office and the Austin Seven register lists a black Mulliner Coupe HH 4845, first registered 8th June 1929 and known to the Mulliner register.  DVLA website lists the car as "taxed" until the end of August 2024.  
I wouldn't imagine that the Carlisle registration authority registered many (if any) other Mulliner Coupes in 1929 - it would seem very likely that the car in the photo is in fact HH 4845.  I wonder if the present owner knows of this photograph?    
.jpg   DSC07918.JPG (Size: 99.95 KB / Downloads: 249)

Messages In This Thread
Mulliner Coupe - by Mick Hobday - 21-05-2024, 10:03 PM
RE: Mulliner Coupe - by Jeff Taylor - 22-05-2024, 08:49 AM
RE: Mulliner Coupe - by Mike Costigan - 22-05-2024, 09:52 AM
RE: Mulliner Coupe - by Mick Hobday - 22-05-2024, 10:50 AM