The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic Box for 12V - from the late 90's
Photo 
Hi all, back in 1992 while living and working in the UK we bought a Chris Gould Glass Fibre A7 Ulster styled special. We attended Beaulieu, Gaydon and other events and many weekend trips away on the B-roads. The car came back with us to New Zealand in 1997.

The car when built had a 12V battery and electrics for lights etc. I understood that it also had 6V output for dash lights and other items (now I am not so sure). To achieve this, they used what was referred to as a black (or Magic) box. Allegedly this took the 12v input and provided output for both 6 & 12 volt. I did have a wiring diagram that came with it but I cannot find it now. Photo of the unit is attached, silver, about 2” square and about 1” thick and I believe were reasonably popular in the mid/late 90’s.

The issue I have is that I have taken out the mechanical tacho that was never connected (I don’t know if it worked or was for show only). I have a Smiths RVI 1000/19 electric tacho, rehoused in the correct looking bezel. I am now trying to find the 12V power supply (via a fuse) to run a line for the tacho light. As far as I can see from crawling upside down under the dash, there are 3 wires on the unit. Brown – thru fuse to the A terminal on the switch panel (and via the circuit board to lights, ignition etc). The blue cable and green with yellow trace both connect to grey braided cables into the wiring loom. I put a meter on the green/yellow cable and this appears to connect to head and side lights. No idea about the blue.

I am hoping that someone may be familiar with this unit or have the installation/instruction sheet that was provided with it when the unit was purchased. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Magic Box for 12V - from the late 90's - by Ian Watson - 15-05-2024, 09:35 AM