The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy starting issues - possible carb
Afternoon all, I've been having an unsuccessful time getting my chummy to run so hoping for some thoughts and advice. I'm fairly sure it's carb related but to complicate matters I've just put on a new ignition system.

The car had previously been running okayish, but on an emergency backup distributor switched and crudely setup at the roadside, which I've now replaced with an electronic setup. The electronic set-up appears to be sparking nicely, only set to TDC as I haven't had the car running, and I'm fairly sure I have the leads in the right order. 

The reason I think it's carb is that the plugs are almost completely dry. It will occasionally fire up momentarily particualrly with a bit of persuasion from an aerosol can. There's plenty of fuel getting through to the main bowl and it's not obviously leaking from anywhere. 

I'm assuming the most obvious thing is a blocked jet of some description, although I'd be annoyed as I've fitted a fuel filter. The carb is a 22fzb I think and I'm struggling to find much guidance online for these (at least compared to the later carbs). The top part of the slow running tube seems to have a small split at the bottom I assume from it being screwed down too far, but I can't imagine this would stop it running at all given it was quite happy previously? 

I've taken the carb off the car, but I'm a bit nervous of damaging it or making things worse by starting to fiddle around without knowing what I'm doing. Basic question, but can anyone tell me in the first instance how to remove the jets for cleaning and inspection? 

Any help or thoughts much appreciated!

Messages In This Thread
Chummy starting issues - possible carb - by RupertW - 10-05-2024, 04:30 PM