The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rebuilt engine leaking oil....
(06-05-2024, 02:57 PM)Bob Kneale Wrote:
(06-05-2024, 12:30 PM)Charles P Wrote: I run a ball race in the rear bearing of my engine, but that's in conjunction with a very carefully fitted flywheel.
The objective is to retain the axial movement of the crank at the rear bearing, not the front lip.  However, the grinding of the spacer that goes between the flywheel and bearing is a job where a couple of thou is important. It's a Frank Hernandez suggested mod.

Charles

Using a ball race in the rear main bearing is a modification I have considered for years, but apart from sourcing the bits, haven't yet got around to it yet!
It would be at its most beneficial in a 3 bearing engine, where it would isolate the thin center webs from the bending forces that surely occur when depressing the clutch pedal puts a heavy axial load over the full length of the crank. Leaving the front bearings floating (as in a modern plain bearing engine) is surely kinder to the crankshaft, particularly under normal i.e. non racing conditions. The gyroscopic loads on the flywheel might be a problem when cornering, but only slightly more than with  a roller race.
We'll never know if we don't try it... Here's to a healthy discussion!
Bob

There are a lot of theoretical benefits but you cant get away from the fact that a ball race has less load capacity than a roller.
If you have a desire to tour the world with your family, a la Dunford, then it may not be the mod for you. That said, most rear rollers seem to wear through the gentle misalignment caused by crank whip and corrosion, rather than through excess mileage. 
Cue Tony Press with an educated view of the bearing choice!

PS - mine has been like this for a decade or so

Messages In This Thread
RE: rebuilt engine leaking oil.... - by Steve kay - 25-03-2024, 12:09 PM
RE: rebuilt engine leaking oil.... - by Steve kay - 25-03-2024, 08:52 PM
RE: rebuilt engine leaking oil.... - by Charles P - 26-03-2024, 02:27 AM
RE: rebuilt engine leaking oil.... - by Steve kay - 26-03-2024, 08:51 AM
RE: rebuilt engine leaking oil.... - by Alan - 06-05-2024, 10:54 AM
RE: rebuilt engine leaking oil.... - by Chris KC - 06-05-2024, 11:54 AM
RE: rebuilt engine leaking oil.... - by Charles P - 06-05-2024, 12:30 PM
RE: rebuilt engine leaking oil.... - by Alan - 06-05-2024, 01:03 PM
RE: rebuilt engine leaking oil.... - by Charles P - 06-05-2024, 03:19 PM