The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The start of my van's body build
Thank you Ruairidh. It made perfect sense to do this.
Not much to report as I'm spending a lot of time trying to find information on a lot of things pertaining to details of the build. I keep coming across things which raise questions I can't seem to find answers for in order to move a particular step ahead which is frustrating.

Spending hours looking at pics from the net and trying to get a feel for what the majority of the cars had in regard to the various areas of concern that require attention. In some cases my questions were answered.

When I bought my car all those years ago it was in pieces and not very complete. The restoration work that had been carried out on it was total bodgery.  One of the main reasons I opted to build a replacement van body. 

This project is one of two I have on the go. If I get stuck on one I can go onto the other to move that head while I try to resolve the issues with the other. The other project is my 1957 MGA. I hope you will permit me to share these pics of it with you:

.jpg   finished chassis 1.jpg (Size: 112.28 KB / Downloads: 439)

.jpg   finished chassis 2.jpg (Size: 128.8 KB / Downloads: 439)

The MG is at my home whereas the Seven is at my work place.

I greatly appreciate the input from everyone in helping with this build.

Happy New Year to you all.
Cheers,
Stephen
Please share all projects!
With a chassis as clean as that, I would hesitate to drive it, in case it got dirty! I approve of the blower though, less finicky than the twin cam and quicker to boot!
Thank you Ivor. The supercharger should make things interesting for sure.
I keep coming across items that need to be replaced as the supplied item is a bit too crude or incorrect.

I need to know what the wing bolt dimensions are that hold the windscreen open. I was supplied regular bolts which I wish to replace.
A pic would be great as i can go from that.
Thanks,
Stephen
Hi Steve, fascinating project, thanks for posting about it. Finding info on actually building wooden framed cars is really hard. I've been more or less winging it on my Riley and just keep referring to as many period pictures as possible and have helpful people sending me pictures of details on their cars where they can (and you find all cars are different!) and talking to others who have done it themselves.

The best book I can recommend (if you can find it and afford it!) is Motor Bodywork by Herbert J Butler, published by W R Howell & Co in 1924. It actually has real details in it and proper plans for many body styles. The only other books I have found are modern books on coachbuilding that tell you nothing technical (except it's a lost art) or mid last century books about people building specials which are often more inspirational than instructional.

I recently showed that book in one of my films and people in the UK reported it costing 400-600 quid!

For screws I found the best place for me to get them locally was through RS Components. So far I have mainly used 50mm long No10 stainless, counter sunk slotted: https://export.rsdelivers.com/productlis...od%20Screw

They are a global supplier and ship internationally. I do need to work out what the 'right nails' are for attaching the aluminium skin to the timber soon.

I understand needing several projects. I've been flat out on the frame in the Riley and really need a break. I find the sawdust annoying and irritating and that's with dust extraction and wearing all the PPE. I have to often stop and clean up or the shed would be a total mess.

I have a motorbike to strip down and rebuild now.

Simon
Hi Simon.
Thanks for the information regarding the wood screws, Every little bit helps as far as information is concerned. I've been pawing over photos of '29 AD cars to glean as much information from them as I can get and taking notice of things that are common to all the different cars which would lead me to believe that that is the way the factory made it. Sometimes though one has to ask the "stupid" question to resolve how something is or was. Every time I resolve one issue of fit it affects something else which then becomes a new problem. The frequency is getting less though thankfully.

Cheers,
Stephen
(02-01-2023, 08:12 PM)jansens Wrote: ...The best book I can recommend (if you can find it and afford it!) is Motor Bodywork by Herbert J Butler, published by W R Howell & Co in 1924. It actually has real details in it and proper plans for many body styles. The only other books I have found are modern books on coachbuilding that tell you nothing technical (except it's a lost art) or mid last century books about people building specials which are often more inspirational than instructional.

I recently showed that book in one of my films and people in the UK reported it costing 400-600 quid!

It's expensive, but not that expensive. There are several copies available on Abe Books for £300-350; If they were much more than that I would seriously consider selling my own copy!
Back in the 1980's I think John Heath was acknowledged as the man to go for an Austin seven body.
I had a chummy body ,his 97th built using the original bulkhead,dash and flitch panels but when I came to fit it later found if the engine cleared bulkhead the steering column fouled the dashboard.
From memory the scuttle was 3/8" longer than what was left of the original one.I have heard of others similar.