The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedants' Corner
(09-12-2021, 05:21 PM)merlinart Wrote: Sorry in fifty years time..."drivers"...what on earth will a driver be...

A long skinny bat  Blush
I am one of the unfortunates that is linguisitcly challenged.
I find this thread rather fun and not insulting at all.

I am off to the the Jewelry shop at the weekend to see if I can buy my wif e a nice siler Pedant to wer round her neck.

(The above has been typed in my normal manner using two fingers but I have not gone though and made any corrections to the word formation or spelling )

Dyslexia rules KO
You must have heard the one about the dyslexic, agnostic insomniac!? He was up all night worrying about the existence of Dog.
I'll get me coat...
DOG is on the chair beside me !!
I worship him.
Speaking of frequently used invented words. The recently invented phrase which resulted from advertising campaigns to promote the take up of Covid vaccinations "We're all in this together" really gets my goat.
Now I wouldn't want anyone to think I am looking down on the poor unfortunate who prepared this eBay advert (am I allowed to use unfortunate as a noun?) ...but I did find it a little amusing...

Ahah, the delights of google translate, from Chinese to English I think?
And another I've just remembered, the conversion of the noun reference to the verb "to reference " . I used to go to the reference library (NOT lyeberry!) to refer to an informative book or person or I might refer to a person or object in conversation. Now everyone seems to have added the extra ugly syllable to give weight to their linguistic skill (?)
The reference department in the old Victorian-built library was wonderful. I'd go in asking for an obscure fact and the librarian was always most helpful pointing me in the right direction. If there was no result, the British Library was only 25 miles away at Thorpe Arch and within a week one or two appropriate and arcane volumes would arrive which I was allowed to take away for a maximum of 14 days. I can now get as good a result from the matchbox size computer I carry in my pocket.
Eeh, them were the days!
In my day the only things you could find at Thorpe Arch were naughty boys.
..."to see if lessons can be learned"... Rolleyes