The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedants' Corner
I was asked for my bank card by a hotel receptionist so that she could pre-scan it. I asked how this was to be achieved and she explained that she would scan it. We had a chat and she promised never to say it again, probably just to get rid of me.
I think we should elect Victor Meldrew as honorary president of this thread but he’d probably refuse the spurious honour.
Duncan, when I worked for a television magazine show in the 1980s, one of the hosts would often say, "I just re-remembered...". I always choked and tried to explain that she was already "re-remembering" by using the word, "remember". It doesn't build.

Erich in Mukilteo
“Pacifically”.

Makes my toes curl, that is all.
Is there anyfink else Ruairidh?
Don't you mean "anyfing kelse"?
Hi Rogerfrench
Decades ago I did some work on an island off our coast. There was one general store. I had taken a clip board, pencils etc but forgot some items. I enquired if the shop sold rubbers. The American shopkeeper thought it funny. As there was not much else to do there, I suspect he sold many. (Incidentally the w.o.f  requirements were not enforced so the cars on the island, including a couple of rentals, and with no sealed roads, were interesting....)
One of my favourite rants is, when giving personal details to ‘the person’ behind the counter I am asked the question (sorry, that’s tautologous…) - I am asked ‘Thank you, and what was your name?.’ I reply ‘Well, it was Olive, and funnily enough, it still is?’ This provokes a blank look which I would love to video just to show them.

Another is, when registering a complaint, ‘the person’ will acknowledge with a cheery ‘No problem’ and then look confused when I remonstrate with ‘But that is why I am here, because there IS a problem.’

On the Victor Meldrew point, if I do approach either ‘the person’ or the telephone, in search of a solution to a problem my wife always instructs me ‘Now, don’t do a Victor Meldrew, you’ll get nowhere…’

There are hundreds more but I shall exit stage left, and continue to enjoy this amusing thread
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
I am reminded that Richard Wilson, the actor who played Victor Meldrew, was, in fact, a Scotsman.
Is the exit stage left pursued by a bear, or just because a member of stage management are gesturing vigorously.
(01-12-2021, 08:06 PM)Bob Olive Wrote: On the Victor Meldrew point, if I do approach either ‘the person’ or the telephone, in search of a solution to a problem my wife always instructs me ‘Now, don’t do a Victor Meldrew, you’ll get nowhere…’

Oh dear!! It seems you and I are on the same wavelength as are your wife and my wife Sad

Watching the news this evening we were told 'All adults in England are to be offered a booster jab'. I suggested that even though we'd both already had a booster jab that means we were to be offered a second meaning four jabs in total. Mrs. J replied that as we'd both already had our booster we wouldn't be included in that. If that was to be the case, I replied, they'd have said 'All adults in England who hadn't yet had a booster jab were to be offfered one'.

End of conversation - and it wasn't me who rolled my eyes Rolleyes

Steve