The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trials Tyres 2
I've started another Trials tyres thread as the original seems to have been hi-jacked.

Because Cheng Shin 4.00 x 18 are unavailable I recently bought a pair of new Dunlop K 70's. 

Unfortunately although they have the same tread pattern they do not compare favourably with the Cheng Shins, being a harder compound, having stiffer sidewalls and being rather expensive.

Online searching finds a possible Ebay alternative.  

Anlas 4.00-18 NR-SP

The tread pattern looks promising and they're cheap enough for a test pair.

.jpg   NR-SP.jpg (Size: 119.6 KB / Downloads: 797)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=...&_osacat=0
Thanks Henry,

Looks promising.

Presumably the TT which I think means tubed?

Alan
Well found Henry. Shall look forward to seeing how you get on with them.
(31-10-2021, 10:49 AM)Jack in the Box Wrote: Thanks Henry,

Looks promising.

Presumably the TT which I think means tubed?

Alan

More info here;  

https://www.anlas-tyres.co.uk/nr-sp/
Can you not use Longstones?

That tyre above looks OK but it's a motor cycle profile. If you run it at trials pressures the tread will flatten and the gaps between the blocks will close up, surely?
The Anlas and Cheng Shin and indeed K70s tyres are intended for motor cycles, and I would suggest wholly unsuitable for trialling for four, or three wheeled machines. RR asks a very basic question about the behaviour of the cover when run at trials pressure, manufacturers info from Dunlop must also question low pressure behaviour of sidewalls with the current materials. Scrutes for a certain motor club might be less than happy with the tyre, turn up for class zero for other trials and nobody will be too worried, but in other classes, intakes of scrutineering breath might be heard. Some regs will actually state eligible tyres, so a wet Sunday afternoon could be spend browsing through regs. There are some very experienced trialists to be seen on the forum, perhaps they might confirm what you should not purchase, and maybe in a discreet manner indicate what you might get away with.
The Cheng Shin C180, The Kenda K265 and now these Anlas tyres are, indeed, motorcycle tyres and the tread patterns are all copies (sort of) of the Dunlop K70. There are also similar type copies of the Firestone AMS around as well. Bruce is right when he says the side walls will collapse when run at low, trials, pressures and that's the point of the exercise. I can't speak for the Kenda or Anlas versions but the Cheng Shin version are, in reality, quite poor quality copies of the Dunlop K70 but it's this poor quality that makes then great trials tyres when fitted to our cars because the side walls do collapse leading to a greater 'footprint' on the trials hill. Genuine Dunlop K70s don't work as well because they have stiffer side walls. Longstones don't work at all on relatively light cars like Sevens because the side walls are much, much stiffer than the Cheng Shins and if you let them down to trials pressure nothing much happens and they don't look any different to when they're fully inflated. Believe me, we've all tried all the different makes and options and it's the Cheng Shins that win out every time. The Kenda 265 and now these Anlas tyres are the talk of the pre-war car trials world because they’re available in the preferred 450 x 18 size and, no doubt, someone will be trying them out over the next 3 weeks.

Steve
I recently corresponded with Martyn Halliday of the HSTA regarding tyres.
The control tyre for the Historic class, both the 750 and 1172 are Blockley 4.50/5.00 x 18.
I quote from his email;
”Our control tyre has very stiff side walls and basic block tread. We run then at 5psi and they do not flex much but last for ever.
It was chosen as we did not want a very grippy tyre. This means we are not putting such great strain on old transmissions and we can have more gentle sections.”
The Blockley and the Longstones are similar tread pattern.
The tread depth is significantly different between a new blockley and a new longstone. For road and sprint use I have blockleys. I also think that the blockleys look better, but I wouldn’t use them for trialling.

Peter
I accidentally found that if you soak a tyre in back axle oil for approx 12 months it makes it so much nore supple.