The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1923 sports rear axle
Hi all,

I bought a back axle in bits from john sutton, when I cleared his stores out. Around 6 years ago.

The centre banjo has got corrosion. But can anyone confirm the numbers are for a sports.

You can faintly see on the date 1  _  _ _  _ 3 so should be 1923 as it can't be 1933.

Gear ratio is 9 / 44

The sports numbers look like S    then it's very faint but on the close up it looks like 9C68

What do you think, thanks tony.

Hi Tony, I make no pretence to expertise on rear axles but, if it were a "sports" back axle of that period, shouldn't it be a 10/44 giving a 4.4:1 ratio??
hi ian,

im with you.

i dont know.

i was hopeing someone else did.

the latter blown ulsters were 4.9   was there an early sports 4.9   or should i say 9 / 44

thanks tony
1923 sounds to be too early for a sports component. I believe Gordon England fitted a 4.4:1 ratio in the Brooklands, but that wasn't before 1924.
The sketch book I have from Stanley Edge has Sports Model designs dated 1923 - albeit late 1923.
Tony I haven't got a clue really but the 'S' definitely hints as a Sports bit. I can't convince myself that I can see a '3' but maybe it's the angle? Is it worth emailing/facebooking John Sutton in case it jogs his memory?
did the slightly later sports banjo axles have an S in the index number there?
i.e. It wasn't in that location for the Nippies, but that was a different axle entirely.

And playing devil's advocate, could that lower curve of the digit not be a '5' too? I can't make out the top bit but that may be just these photos.
The photo doesn't really show a clear 3; if it has a flat top, could it be a 5, or a curved top and be an 8?
the 3 for 1923 is hard to make out, but it does look to be a 3 not a 5.

it may not be 9C though, if you look at the 68 there are curves of black to the bottom of the figures. then look back to the C you can see the black curves. and it follows up you can see the top end of the C.  or it could be a 6.

the number before it is either 9 or 8 or even 3.

the S i can only think is for sports.

ALL of the stamps are original.

i was hopeing one of our sports experts, may have more info.

thank R, for confirming the sports were around late 1923.

tony
Will be interesting to hear whether the part numbers were on these early cars.  
Certainly the later ones are just serial numbers on that second line...
Does this help tho? That IS a mightily clear S! What a bugger corrosion is - but wouldnt be as fun without it.