The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
60 years of Austin Seven ownership…
It is exactly 60 years since our father, Ian, bought his first Austin Seven.

380’000 miles later - we still have the car and it is being enjoyed by the third generation of Dunfords. We are still in touch with Nick Gifford (and his family) who sold BME 180 to Ian in October 1964.

The first photo is Nick with the car around 1964 and the other taken yesterday, with Ian’s youngest grandchildren sat inside.

Our lives would have been very different if Ian had not bought this car.

Marvellous! 

When the lives of those we know and have known are so intertwined with an object, such as with your family and this A7, I think it takes on a rather magical quality. 

May BME have many more years of making memories for, and influencing the lives of, your friends and families.

As Keith Brymer-Jones on Pottery Throwdown would tearfully say, "It's bloody brilliant!"
Hi Ruaridh

It’s a kind of Diamond anniversary. Brilliant in every way.

Cheers

Howard
Lovely words, Nick, thank you.
(18-10-2024, 06:10 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Ruaridh

It’s a kind of Diamond anniversary. Brilliant in every way.

Cheers

Howard

Yes, it is, thank you.
I can't equal the Dunford record, but I did buy my first Austin Seven, a 1932 RP, in September 1959, and have owned quite a few others since them. I have to admit to a few months when I did not own one at all, but there are 2 now, and have been 3 or even 4 at one time. My last Ruby I had for 38 years, and my present Chummy I bought around 1983. I drove it back to see its last owner in Devon last year, on my way back from Beaulieu to Cambridge.
And I am 60 next week so was making final preparations to head out into the world pretty much as the keys were being exchanged. Does that make it seem a long time ago or just yesterday? I'm not sure but I do know that it is pretty much impossible for me to be entering my 7th decade, I am only 45 surely.

Anyway, congratulations. There are many experiences that people can buy their way into and tick off in this fast and frenetic world, but this isn't one of them. It's a priceless slice of family storytelling and I have a feeling there might be a book in there somewhere.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Well done Dunfords----- NOW i know why the Dunford name and RK didn't appear at the first 750 Beaulieu in 1963

Ian and I 'competed' with our respective ally saloons at subsequent events there for the "Áutosport Cup"
but I suspect the contest wasn't serious as neither of us were great polishers.

Congrats on 'keeping it in the family'

Ian C

Photo 
Next August I hope it will be my turn to celebrate a Diamond Jubilee. In 1965 the famous 750MC secretary Colin Peck helped me in London to a good-looking Austin Seven New Ruby. To this day, I still regularly drive my beloved Seven, especially on early Sunday mornings, when the lack of traffic on our Dutch country roads reminds me of the sixties. The photo shows seller Ben Grafton [l] and Colin Peck [r] August 1965. The other photo shows the result after I converted my Ruby to led lighting last winter.
Hans Hommes

.jpg   1965 Ruby Aankoop 10x15.jpg (Size: 139.88 KB / Downloads: 223)    
Ian,

I think my parents first attended Beaulieu in 1965, where they met a number of people who have remained very close friends to this day. Not least, Tom and Joyce Abernethy.

Lovely to hear other stories of long ownership.