The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
self compensating brakes
I have a new project, a SWB Chummy, that has been fitted with an unusual brake set up.

Front brakes are rod type, operated by bowden cables

Rear brakes are operated by single cable that is run around a pulley that in theory will compensate and balance both rear brakes to operate equally.

The condition of the set up needs to be looked at and replaced, i would like to keep it due to the history, style and nature of the car and in theory should work well. 

I have looked through several "special" building books i have, and there is no mention of this type of system, lookign back old posts online there is nothing really i can find for advie on the set up or benefits.

Has anyone come across a simialr sytem, or know if it being described in any publications?

I will get some photos over the weekend of the set up
(13-09-2024, 02:30 PM)JohnD Wrote: I have a new project, a SWB Chummy, that has been fitted with an unusual brake set up.

Front brakes are rod type, operated by bowden cables

Rear brakes are operated by single cable that is run around a pulley that in theory will compensate and balance both rear brakes to operate equally.

The condition of the set up needs to be looked at and replaced, i would like to keep it due to the history, style and nature of the car and in theory should work well. 

I have looked through several "special" building books i have, and there is no mention of this type of system, lookign back old posts online there is nothing really i can find for advie on the set up or benefits.

Has anyone come across a simialr sytem, or know if it being described in any publications?

I will get some photos over the weekend of the set up

I used to run a rear brake set up like that. It pulled from the centre of the brake cross shaft and went over pulleys mounted on the rear cross member to each rear hub. Very good at neutralising the effect of twist in the brake cross shaft. I stole the idea from Reg Nice but I doubt he was the inventor.
Here are some photographs of the set up - hopefully it explains if not I can do a drawing to help.

Does anyone know where I can get custom cables made with the suitable Austin seven ends swaged on?

Both Speedy Cables and Speedograph Richfield will make up brake cable to patterns. They have a good selection of fittings but you may need to send them your old cables or photos to get things right.
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
Crikey! I’ve seen some brake set ups on Sevens over the years, but that beats the lot!

Cables shouldn’t be a problem as Martin has pointed out.
I think I would call in the local piano tuner to set that lot up!

It never ceases to amaze me the ingenious solutions that enthusiasts have come up with to address problems in the past.   A great deal of time and thought has been put into this particular set up.
Ends can be swaged on with a decent press and some hand made dies. I have done it with my 15 ton press (that's what I mean by decent!).