The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Took Wendolene shopping this afternoon and could not resist the photo op on top of Weston Hills, near Baldock, Hertfordshire. Great views.

.jpg   20241011_140705-2 - Copy.JPG (Size: 237.49 KB / Downloads: 361)
Lovely, I’ll be passing by there in the morning, but I’ll be in the Alfa, as the engine is out of the Box.
Gosh, shopping in Herts. I thuoght it was only in Mid Wales that muddy lanes and unmade up roads were the route to the shops.
Not long after I built my Pembleton Brooklands I was pulled by a jam-sandwich who told me I didn't have an MoT certificate according to his on-board 'putah. I spent a good 15 minutes explaining that it was technically a new car having had to have Single Vehicle Approval carried out at the Beverley Testing Centre which created a new but date related registration number and V5. This means no MoT test for 3 years. He'd never heard of such thing and gave me a producer but when I got home after the weekend away he called to apologise and accepted the facts having checked in the office...
I tried hard not to look smug!
The Seven hadn't been pit for weeks (or so it felt), so, it being a reasonably nice day yesterday, I took it to Wrexham and back. I am still plagued by little end rattle, but otherwise the car ran well.

I have recently acquired a a set of 'new old stock' 30 thou pistons so I shall make this winters project of having the engine rebored and fitting them (the engine is beginning to breath a bit as evidenced by the increasing miasma of faint blue smoke in the passenger foot well).
Went round to a Ruby today which has been in a garage for at least 5 years, I went round 2 weeks ago and pored some release oil in the cylinders and tried to turn the engine today only to find that it;s still solid even put it in third gear and tried rocking it. Having a late head I can't give the pistons a jolt so it's a strip down job.
I wonder what could be bought in this field... Wink
Continued the long task of machining the Grasshopper block casting.
Today was machining the valve spring seats using a shop made piloted cutter with a simple silver steel cutting bit.

Enormous satisfaction comes with great risk. Hats off to you Charles. If there is a blog on this project I would love to follow, regards Russell.
I find machining cast iron very therapeutic, but that’s me I suppose…I even get excited by the smell of cutting oil. Nice job Charles!