The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carrying picnic gear in an austin 7
Having attended a few events recently in my 1929 RK box saloon, i have felt a bit jealous of others with their gazebos, chairs and tables. 
Not too many baby austins have been out here over the winter in NZ so i have been joining in with the post war "Austin flying A" club and they have a period correct timber trailer to carry their gear. 
With my wife and quite often daughter in the car, there is barely enough room for a picnic basket let alone any other paraphernalia. 
How do others carry such gear or are we all down on the blanket and getting frazzled by the sun? 
Or are there vintage looking gear that folds down really small?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Herew in the UK there is some very neat and lightweight aluminium camping gear. It certainly isn't period but we have chairs and a small table that weigh less than the bags they come in and fold up small. Suggest finding a local camping show then you can see and try out some options as some are almost for mountaineering and a little too far on the basic angle for sitting in for too long.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
If you want a very small wind and sun shelter, and rain, you could look at fishermans shelters. We have a small one but it's a bit of a faff to put up and could blow down, so we don't often use it. Sitting in the car is becoming our habit.
Hi

We’ve found these chairs really good. They pack up to about 18” by 6” and weight next to nothing.

The photo shows our touring set up. The trailer is a roof box on the base of an Erde 102 trailer, which tows easily behind the Special.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   IMG_3446.jpeg (Size: 147.66 KB / Downloads: 155)
How about a folding luggage rack?

I thought you always sent your luggage on ahead Bruce, together with your gentleman’s gentleman?
But of course my dear boy, this is just for emergencies and a few brace of pheasant. Smile
Some good ideas there. I did look at a luggage rack but they are rare over here for the short chassis cars. I have only seen the ruby ones for sale. I guess i could fabricate one. Being born in Paisley Scotland and moving to NZ when i was 10, I am blessed with the pasty skin that gets lobstered very easily so shade is a must in summer!