The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Yes, the black body seams are a bit disturbing! Dodgy
Apologies to the Austin Seven Mini owner and forum members, I rather jumped the gun regarding body seams !
  It would appear that as the car has a chrome insert in the windscreen rubber and a chrome number plate light rather than a black one it is a de luxe model in which case it should have chrome plastic trim fitted to the body seams and wheel arches. Maybe in 1959 I only remember seeing basic cars and not de luxe ones.

Ken
Ah, my memory isn’t as bad as I thought!
When the mini first came out in 1959 I was not quite six years old. My memory throughout the sixties was that the 4 upright body seams always had the welded seam covered by a plain steel cover that was painted body colour. Around the wheels and along the sill was often a chromy plastic strip but was often not original. Don't remember any black ones until later.
Yes, Andrew, that's how I remember them as well - I was 7 in 1959. Mine was a 1966 model (CHD 174D), my Brother had a 1963 (SCP 63). In both cases, our first cars (mine in 1969, my Brother's in 1971). The chromy plastic strip along the wheel arches and cills used to try to make a bid for freedom every now and then.

Steve
Interior mirror extension, wing mirrors , I guess there are all sorts of things as the '59 was a very basic model.
Is Adolescent Eye Movement actually T*ny Gr*ff*ths doing one of his extravagant spoofs, and if so where are the cunningly doctored snaps of Chummies in Phoenix?
(21-08-2024, 09:28 AM)Steve kay Wrote: Is Adolescent Eye Movement actually T*ny Gr*ff*ths doing one of his extravagant spoofs, and if so where are the cunningly doctored snaps of Chummies in Phoenix?
" Adolescent Eye Movement "? Sorry, Steve, can you enlighten us? It sounds interesting.

It would be fun to do a restoration of one that looked as if it had driven through a 1960s car-accessories shop and one of everything had stuck. As a teenager, a chap on our road had a new Ford Anglia that looked just like that. He was forever polishing the thing - until the front wings rusted through and dropped off
(21-08-2024, 07:10 AM)bob46320 Wrote: Interior mirror extension, wing mirrors ,  I guess there are all sorts of things as the '59 was a very basic model.
(22-08-2024, 11:01 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(21-08-2024, 09:28 AM)Steve kay Wrote: Is Adolescent Eye Movement actually T*ny Gr*ff*ths doing one of his extravagant spoofs, and if so where are the cunningly doctored snaps of Chummies in Phoenix?
" Adolescent Eye Movement "? Sorry, Steve, can you enlighten us? It sounds interesting.

There was a spam post... (nothing to do with Monty Python)... it didn't stay on the forum for long enough for the title to stick in my head and it's gone now. I'm guessing that is what is being referred to by Steve.

There was another post about adjustable beds. I thought it would be something lathe related at first, being as this is a car forum. When I opened it I thought that it might be a spam post too until I remembered the demographic.

Back on topic, I have the bodyshell of the Silverstone hanging 2' above the chassis on the engine hoist and have been repositioning the steering box, lengthening the drag link and shortening the brake rod so that the steering wheel is the correct side of the dashboard. Not sure yet how I will align the clutch pedal and brake pedal. Does anyone have a set up where there is a clutch pedal aftward of the gearbox with a link to the original pedal lever?

And no... I'm not a fan of the Oxford comma.
Today was the first proper drive out since I completed the Ruby crash repairs following the crash in March. Also with four new Longstone tyres. All went well. A twenty mile drive with a few other cars from the Harrogate Car Enthusiasts club to the town of Easingwold, then they continued at a faster speed while we toddled along to Beningbrough Hall and home via Aldwark Bridge. At the moment the toll fee is still 8/- each way.

Maybe 50 or 60 miles in total. Getting to like it again!