The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REIORCEMENT PLATE - YOUR SUGGESTIONS
Hi all. I have had to make new reinforcement plates for the B Pillar triple joint junction on the wood frame of the Van. The original plate was for the standard chummy - not the van. So my issue is this:

I need to drill holes in the plate to attach it to the frame with as few screws as possible so as not to compromise the wood and possibly cause splits. Where would you suggest drilling the holes and how many?
Thanks,
Stephen

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   PLATE LOCATION.jpg (Size: 56.95 KB / Downloads: 300)
Steve, is this intended to be a permanent fixture? If so I would bond it with epoxy resin rather than drilling the wood. If you do it right the joint will be stronger than anything else on the car.
Just my 2d worth.
Reckless, yes this meant to be permanent. The problem with epoxy is that it tends to part company after some years, so I would use another type of  adhesive. I intend to glue as well as screw the plate into place.
Stephen
I have used Adiseal for non car relate wood gluing and it appears good, although it was only recently so I cannot comment on longevity. It's claims are strong:
https://adiseal.com/wood-to-metal/.
I would also use screws, 2 per arm of the metal piece to avoid twisting, with appropriate pilot holes to help prevent splitting and on the longer sections of grain to prevent breaking off.
Someone like Peter Naulis if here would undoubtedly be best qualified to answer your question
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
The ash frame needs to move (albeit only a little) in my view, or cracks will develop, so I would go for three brass screws drilled centrally.

I await the responses of those more knowledgable than me!
I like the use of screws as well as a glue. I would use stainless steel rather than brass, because they are stronger. Boat chandlers are normally the best place for such.
I have reinforced various sections of my Morgan's wooden frame with steel plates, they are all held on with brass screws, just in case I ever need to take it to bits. I have used 2 screws into each bit of timber, it stiffened up the ageing frame no end.
Should it be as few screws as possible? I suggest that more screws, but very small diameter screws, might be better. I'm thinking of 4 screws per 'leg', so 12 screws in total. Definitely drill pilot holes, and drill right through, use long screws and cut the excess length off with a grinder. Stainless steel screws are often much stronger than ordinary steel.
Rather than screwing "into" the wood, might it be a better idea to use a fastener that goes "through" the wood. This type of furniture assembly might give you a better clamping force than a simple screw, and be more durable. (this is just an example):

https://www.amazon.fr/GZhaimai-raccordement-inoxydable-hexagonale-armoires/dp/B0BCHPYLL7/ref=sr_1_26?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=2HI4ZPIHGW6A8&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.1T_ZsBUehiaxjPefKUvfqLk2AMOoHQkk8ca70LX89zyRRpABItOao95ZxfQ4xp5ZR85WOF6yXnK6BiG2jB2C64z8Yn90olcTMcTFis-ivLfD-gRe5e-E2kLGI6Y4PNW8IX3hBQDs4yYp5NQK0hBsdSxgWmH_X4XJbicCpeeQzCJMCrEjMjCscyaLbgZj6cXvQm66t-h2veVZ98nvXldqnDw-DSS9bpARPJbGZFPMDw_rGFqo8iSp5eLH4tt2boz4zDxswtIQHhbFRhSIKBGNHisKd96inRzekLzHRQr9k0s.W_zBZksZFCtHbcqqvwmJB1rZxG3G9SxU769HhRXd-_U&dib_tag=se&keywords=vis+ecrou+pour+mdf&qid=1722843629&sprefix=vis+ecrou+pour+mdf%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-26
Personally I'd use brass or stainless screws and West System epoxy. It's how I've done the running boards on my Fiat and whilst I can't vouch for longevity as yet, I followed the advice of others who have had the benefit of testing the approach over time.
But whichever way you go, it's great to watch your progress