The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Today, taking our Seven from our pre-Guildtown base at Markinch down the Fife coast to Elie where we had a super lunch at the excellent Ship Inn. Highly recommended.

Steve
I'm envious, Steve, if the weather is as hot as here in North Yorkshire it must be fabulous.  Being too hot to do anything too strenuous, I took the saloon for a run up to Helmsley and the Cockayne loop, one of the more remote corners of the North Yorkshire Moors.  
Admiring the view above Hawnby.    
Stopped to check the fuel level in Helmsley.       The garage in the town had run out of petrol.
Adding a gallon from my reserve can.    
No one about to  open the gates!    
On top of the world.    
A scenic hairpin bridge.    
Back home.    

This is where we are at Markinch. Rain forecast for tomorrow afternoon. Maybe it'll change Cool

Steve
Well Steve, never forget what they say about Scottish weather - there's no such thing as adverse weather in Scotland, only inappropriate clothing! Have a great time, but be ever mindful of the needs of others - I'm struggling down here against the anti-gravity on my sun lounger. Smile
Removed a 3 bearing crank from a friends engine only the second 3 bearing crank I've removed. I gave up wiggling it about after half an hour and went for a beer, it took 2 seconds to get it out later. As a matter of interest how many design changes did Austin do before the design was finalized.
I could never devise a scientific way of removing a 3-bearing crankshaft - I always just shook the crankcase until the crank dropped out!
Illustrated guide, here: https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...hp?tid=638
Had a prospective purchaser for the Ulster call this afternoon.  I took him for a test drive up the village, he was most impressed with how the car pulled in top gear.   On the way back I was waved down by a film crew in the village and was interviewed by Helen Skelton who was filming for a Channel 5 series to be shown in September called Yorkshire Great and Small.   The crew also filmed my RL saloon that was parked up in the farmyard.
And yes Helen is as lovely as she appears on TV and my prospective buyer wants the Ulster.   I've just had a glass of chilled Guinness, life doesn't get much better!
(25-06-2024, 06:24 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: Had a prospective purchaser for the Ulster call this afternoon.  I took him for a test drive up the village, he was most impressed with how the car pulled in top gear.   On the way back I was waved down by a film crew in the village and was interviewed by Helen Skelton who was filming for a Channel 5 series to be shown in September called Yorkshire Great and Small.   The crew also filmed my RL saloon that was parked up in the farmyard.
And yes Helen is as lovely as she appears on TV and my prospective buyer wants the Ulster.   I've just had a glass of chilled Guinness, life doesn't get much better!

How can your life be improved by the absence of an Ulster (despite Ms Skelton)?
A week or two ago, having picked my stepdaughter up from work, I limped home in the ORT and just made it onto the drive before the engine died.

Removing the float chamber to check for crud, I noticed the fuel level looked a bit low. I tried the pump priming lever and concluded that the superglue repair on a cracked casting to stop an air leak had given up after several years service. This evening I finally found an hour to dig out a spare pump and change the diaphragm for one that's ethanol resistant. I rebuilt one previously, but in a moment of weakness sent it to a chap in Spain. 

Now there's been a fair bit of chat about the strength of springs, so I thought I'd try to compare the yellow painted spring in the new pump with an old one from a pump that failed previously due to leaky valves.

The yellow one looked a bit thicker but felt the same, so I started to think how to test both to see if the spring constant was the actually the same. I thought about weights and measuring heights, but quickly realised there's an easy approach to most things...