The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moseley Float on Air
MTB fattie tubes are getting cheaper and cheaper - you can get a pair (two seats) for about 15 quid. You do need to be able to make two rubber retaining rings with a bit of rubber sealant tho'. But they work perfectly.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks Chris. The reason I ask is I have just been shown an image of what appears to be a very good reproduction of the original. I am awaiting details of its source and pricing..
Thanks, Chris. I'm very interested in sets for the Ruby. Does anyone know what the Ulster used - surely it can't have been springs?
Tony,
Float-on-Air...as did the Nippy / 65 and the Speedy / 75.
Tony, as Chris has said, Ulsters(EA Sports) used Moseley Float-on-Air. As far as inflation, here is a guide on inflation. In the case of the prototypes we are having made, I'm putting a set into my Frazer Nash for evaluation. They have the same type of valve that is mouth inflated, and can be pushed in out of the way. Photo also attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.png   Mosley Valve.png (Size: 632.53 KB / Downloads: 281)
(29-05-2024, 07:25 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: Tony,
Float-on-Air...as did the Nippy / 65 and the Speedy / 75.

Thanks, Chris. I'll need a set for that, too. Now, where's that bank loan application....

(30-05-2024, 12:04 AM)Erich Wrote: Tony, as Chris has said, Ulsters(EA Sports) used Moseley Float-on-Air. As far as inflation, here is a guide on inflation. In the case of the prototypes we are having made, I'm putting a set into my Frazer Nash for evaluation. They have the same type of valve that is mouth inflated, and can be pushed in out of the way. Photo also attached.

Thank you, Eric. Progress on this interesting matter is looking most hopeful.
Hi Tony, the cost will depend on volume. But my intention is to replicate as closely as possible, the original Moseley bladders, and perhaps modify for better durability. That said, the original Moseley's I have in my Type 75, are still able to hold air except for one valve. And this goes back at least to 1961. The key is that there are two bladders, located so that they are held in place with an outer for thigh support and an inner which supports the bum. They are simple, certainly, but amazingly comfortable. Once I have confirmed durability, Chris and I can start production. I am, as an aside, surprised they went out of business in the 50's as it really is a good design. I would have preferred them in my 1971 MGB which I bought new. But they do require adjustment.

Best,

Erich
If it helps you judge the demand - I will be up for a pair!
It might be worth canvassing outside the Austin Seven community; lots of cars used the Moseley Air Cushion, including Alvis, Lagonda, Riley and Talbot, and presumably other Austin models like the Ten?
Mike, Frazer Nashes used them and I am going to be testing prototypes in my '27 Boulogne. I believe Astons used them, and I know Morgans used them up to the fifties. I'm not sure about MG, but I also think that HRGs used them. I have at least one other 'Nash owner who wants a pair. Once I have found the prototypes work well and meet my requirements, we'll contact the various clubs to gauge interest.