The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Battery issues
Good morning everyone,
Hopefully someone can give some suitable advice please?

When I went to start the Nippy earlier this morning, the battery was absolutely dead. It's been on charge and the charger says it's now fully charged. Unfortunately, there's not enough "go" in it to turn the engine so it won't start so I guess the battery is now defunct. It's been in for about 10 years so doesn't owe me anything.

I've looked to buy a replacement - a 501 / 17 which is a 117 Amp Hour battery so that I can run through the night if needed. Whislt these are available, apparently they can only now be delivered without any acid due to some legislation. 

I hope somebody on here has some experience of how to sort this out please so that I can get a new battery and be up and running again in the near future please?

Best wishes,
Nick
Nick - worth trying: https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/

They ship wet batteries.
Some traders DO still ship wet batteries, but heaven knows why some do and some don't (it arises from recent legislation concerning the use of battery acid as an offensive weapon - presumably some are able to comply with the rules and others find it too much hassle).

Failing that you'd need to find a local battery supplier to fill it for you - I have done this in the past, but clearly they are more likely to oblige if you purchase through them.
Try Yorkshire Batteries on Shoreham Street.

Sheffield, England - Google Maps
Tayna ship batteries with acid and have a good warranty. https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/classic-car/  When I put Tayna into Google I saw a discount code for them as well.
I agree with Robert. I've had great service from Tayna batteries.
Bob
I found Yorkshire Batteries most helpful and efficient.
Thanks everyone for the advice,
Now I've got something a bit more tangible to work with rather than just a generic search on Google I should have a bit more success...
I'll let you know how I get on.
Best wishes,
Nick
Are you sure you haven't got a bad contact somewhere if the starter motor circuit?
Jim
Hi Austin,
I'll have a look but I suspect not as the sidelights only stayed on (dimly) for a few minutes when I tried them. It's also only registering about 5.8 volts on my meter across the terminals with everything switched off so I reckon it's probably about had it to be honest.

I've contacted the various companies via email as it's bank holiday today so hopefully will get a new battery ordered tomorrow and fix(?!) the problem once it arrives.

Best wishes,
Nick