The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Semi-Girling brakes again - sorry
I have just read through Falcott's thread on this subject and found myself increasingly embarassed by my lack of understanding Blush Confused . I didn't used to be this dumb but I can only plead advancing years.

My RN (October 1932) that thinks it is an RP was modified back in the mists of time to have a Semi-Girling front axle complete with the revised the cross-shaft, but it has a standard 1932 rear brakes. I am not sure how I should ensure some compatibilty but it has seemed to work OK in the 7 Years I have had the car.

My question relates to the discussion in Falcott's thread about the angle of the lever on the front. A couple of people have commented that the levers are set to far back on my car and that this reduces the effectiveness when braking. I can see that that makes some sense?!!?

Please can someone view the attached pic of the offside S-G front brake and give me advice. The hand-brake is fully applied. I am happy to replace the cable etc. with adjustable type and will be fully servicing the system.

Any advice welcome   -  I hope everybody is well and making use of the good weather.

Cheers

Dave

The lever should be pointing straight down, when fully applied, yours is too far back.
Thanks Ruairidh. I have never has the S-G apart. I am assuming that when I do it will be obvious how to achieve a better fit, especially in conjunction with the earlier thread.

Thanks again Ruairidh

Cheers

Dave
You may find that the cams are fitted to the incorrect sides.

When using S-G on the front of a coupled system, with Austin brakes on the rear, I normally use the shorter Austin front arms in place of the Girling ones so that they come on fully with the rears.
Thanks Ruairidh - sounds like a plan. Will be in touch once I get them apart and see what I need!!!!

Cheers

Dave
+1 for what the Laird of Bairsden said. My RP has semi-girling front but with shorter "Austin" arms.