The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Building my first Austin Seven car
Hi Daisy

Which did you find was easier or better: roller or brush?

I decided to use brush when painting my van because previous experience using a roller to decorate in the house ended up with more paint on me than the walls!

Are you going to use roller and brush coach paint for the final finish?

Sorry won’t see you at Guildtown this year but maybe the ‘vanette’ will be ready next year?

Cheers

Howard
That small roller that Daisy is using is good. If you got too much paint on yourself Howard, then you maybe need to slow down. I have only once had a problem with a roller like this and it was caused by the very cold weather. The roller creates a lot of tiny bubbles that disappear in moments, except in v cold weather they didn't disappear.
Looking good, keep up the good work and the enthusiasm.
Given the styling and the builder, I have a feeling it will go like a vanshee...
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I do rather like the design of this. It is unusual, yet looks period.

I was just wondering whether you are building it on a chassis that needs registering or on one with a V5. I would be interested in hearing how you get on with the process. My Ruby body is shot and I am still deliberating over what to do about a replacement shell and the logbook.

Jamie.
Daisy is at school just now (and has not seen any of your posts since she last wrote, i will alert them to her tonight), the car was bought by her grandfather in the 1970s and has a V5C - a Somerset registered Sports.

Here she is getting her 13th birthday present a few months ago...

Daisy, painting cars is fun. I started with aerosols (rattle cans) when I was 14 and repairing my dad's Austin, but here is a photo of my first car that I had just painted with a brush. I used good quality household paint and good brushes. After reading books about how to brush paint I did a good job on this Reliant, my first car. I was 16 and in those days we could drive 3 wheelers at 16, on a tricycle licence, so I did!

The photo is from 1970. The Reliant is from 1956. The engine was made by Reliant but was very much based on the Austin seven. 747.5cc, side valve, with aluminium crankcase and iron block. The body is aluminium on a timber frame. 

Today I will be painting parts of my Austin seven after the crash, but I'm not 16 anymore.