The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Distributor A/R mechanism
My car is a 1930 Chummy AE fitted with a 1934 engine and H/C head. The advance/retard mechanism is connected the wrong way around so that moving the steering column lever toward Advance, actually retards the timing. I'm struggling to see how to engineer the connection as the engine mounting bolt gets in the way. Could a kind 1934 car owner photograph the correct set up please to set me in the right direction.
Just loosen the slip ring under the distributor and move it round to the other side...
I think it most likely that the operating arm at the steering box is 180-ish degrees out on the tube.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Hi Peter

This is a photo of the levers on my C Cab built from a 28 Chummy many many years ago (currently without engine fitted). My RK (1930) is identical. Sorry don’t have a later engine!

The short lever is the advance retard and points towards the engine and is nearest the steering box.  I’ve never had trouble with it fouling the engine bolt. The linking rod runs to the distributor clamp and is fitted on the wing side of the distributor.

Hope this helps

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   IMG_4187.jpeg (Size: 138.03 KB / Downloads: 194)
Thank you for inputs. The photo is helpful Howard. It seems my levers are ar*e about face. The short is connected to the throttle speed linkage and the  long one to the A/R linkage. The previous owner always had reasons for these oddities so I’ll tread carefully in trying to swap over the linkages.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Swap the links from one lever to the other. Rotate the short lever 18o degress.
Jim
(23-05-2024, 05:01 PM)PeterN Wrote:  The previous owner always had reasons for these oddities so I’ll tread carefully in trying to swap over the linkages.

Good thinking. Sometimes it's merely ineptitude, but sometimes it's part of a bigger picture!
I think the reason for the reversed control rods is down to the fact that you have a later crankcase in the car which has the rear offside mount further back. That would obviously obstruct the A/R control if the short lever was turned through 180°. It's probably why the previous owner set it up arse about face. However there's a reason for a long lever and a short lever in that they are relative to the movement of the steering wheel control levers AND the differences between the throttle control and the distributor A/R quadrant. The way it's set up you'll not get either to work at their best. You could try just changing over the control rods and see how it goes. At least the throttle control should be OK. The A/R would be working backwards but as I stated earlier you could rotate the slip ring under the dizzy 180° to compensate.