The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering Control Bracket Tube
Could someone explain how the steering Control Bracket Tube (BM136) is secured? Parts book PL670_F pages 39/40 states that it includes socket BM47 - this is shown on pages 41/42. The drawing on page 40 appears to also show BM47 - is BM47 secured to BM136 somehow?
In my steering box BM47 has been 'staked' to the securing nut (BM48) by 4 punch marks - is this normal? Also, the  Control Bracket Tube protrudes below BM47 - presumably this is incorrect (and should be flush) as I think that the tube needs to stick out at the top so that the Control Bracket (BM128) can clamp to it?

There is also a bush (BM142) at the top of the Control Bracket Tube - is this just a push fit into the inner column?

Finally, what does the Peg (BM20) do?

Thanks
Posting the illustration might help Colin.
Hi Colin

From memory (it was a few years since I had a steering box apart) the control bracket tube (136) is soldered on to the control bracket tube socket (47). I think you are right in that the control tube protrudes sufficiently at the top so that the control bracket (128) can clamp to it.  I don’t see any need for it to protrude at the bottom.

Cheers

Howard
Relevant pages from PL670_F        
Thanks Colin - the illustration helps to clarify the question, but is also informative for other people stumbling on this thread later on (and indeed to me!)

I believe Howard is right in saying 47 is soldered to the tube, and you are correct that 47 is locked to to 48 by punch marks. I think you would have to carefully drill these out in order to unscrew the nut, though I have never personally had one apart that far.

This is something I may have to tackle soon so I'm interested in any responses.
You do have to drill out the punch marks in my experience.
To remove the stator tube, the one soldered into the brass piece from the steering column. You can either drill out the centre pops, or do the outer column up really tight then lock it with the clamp bolt put it in the lathe and go in with a V tool to remove it. Then whilst still clamped you can undo the nut on the bottom.
  Then deburr the thread so the nut goes on freely, assemble again locking up the outer column and replace the nut with Loctite on it.