The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never mind either the quality or the thickness
Never mind either the quality - or the thickness. Upon dismantling an original distributor, I noticed that the little "brass" rings that trap the HT wires looked to be in a much thicker bronze-like material than the current replacements. And so it proved....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Does it matter, I always thought it was to create a larger contact surface ? interesting to know when they became much slimmer in a world where everything is getting fatter !
These split washers are in reality a spring washer to stop the the plastic HT lead  collar from backing off and giving you a poor electrical contact. The thicker ones as you show would be better than the newer thin ones. I've found when servicing distributors that we've installed the thin brass washers on  that  the collars tend to back off and become loose. Personally I would clean and use the originals.
Stephen
It is also possible (as an emergency quick fix) to use a 'brassed' drawing pin instead of the washer. It is especially useful if the wire lead has been soldered onto the washer by a well meaning owner and has fractured. The pin can be pushed into the lead and you're on your way again. I've occasionally forgotten to renew the connection and driven around for many months with it although I wouldn't make a habit. It's a much cheaper solution to buying the 'proper spring washers', and to could always drill a small hole in the head of the drawing pin.
Just a thought.  Bob Smile
Rather than thickness being a measure of quality isn't it more a question of 'springiness'?
If the thin ones are suitably springy then job done, if thick ones are solid/work hardened and lacking 'bounce' then are they not then inferior and more likely to result in a loose connection?
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(08-07-2024, 08:17 PM)Andy Bennett Wrote: Rather than thickness being a measure of quality isn't it more a question of 'springiness'?
If the thin ones are suitably springy then job done, if thick ones are solid/work hardened and lacking 'bounce' then are they not then inferior and more likely to result in a loose connection?

I take your point. Happily, the originals are still very "springy" and compress and then return to shape
Ahah ! so it is possible to insert the cranium in the fundament! ;-)
Could you use two of the new ones together?
What bright spark thought of that one

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Me, all on my own.