The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - July 2024

BOA 58 was built for the 1935 Le Mans race, when it was driven by Dodson and Richardson; the only Grasshopper to finish the race, albeit 3 laps behind the Carr/Barbour Speedy.

Here we see the car at the finish of the 1936 Lancashire Automobile Club's Blackpool Rally, driven by C D Buckley.
The familiar Blackpool tram in the background is one of the open-top double-deckers built in 1934 by English Electric to replace the much older, squarer Dreadnoughts.

Later, they had the top-deck filled in and remained a common sight in the Summer months until fairly recently. Most have been now replaced by the new fleet of trams that look more like those in cities like Manchester - though apparently six are still running in modified form.
I’m struggling to identify the car behind the Grasshopper…lovely period shot though!
Yes, Ivor, that one's got me beaten, too! 

The car on the left is one of the Black Diamond Team of Fiat 508S Ballilas, and I'm pretty sure the little bit of front bumper and wing is sufficient for me to say that it is a Roesch Talbot on the right. I've tried to persuade myself that the car in the background is a BMW (probably a Frazer Nash version), but I'm not convinced...
(02-07-2024, 08:07 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Yes, Ivor, that one's got me beaten, too! 

The car on the left is one of the Black Diamond Team of Fiat 508S Ballilas, and I'm pretty sure the little bit of front bumper and wing is sufficient for me to say that it is a Roesch Talbot on the right. I've tried to persuade myself that the car in the background is a BMW (probably a Frazer Nash version), but I'm not convinced...

Given the number on the Grasshopper the Fiat is almost certainly number 97, Stanley Tett , in the winning car.
Here is another view of the Fiat.  A bit more can be seen of the mystery car in the background.    
Looks a bit like a Ford V8 coupe.
Mark Garfitt has confirmed the car in the background is a Frazer Nash BMW 319/55 2-seater Cabriolet - probably CMT 325.
Thanks for that, I was beginning to think towards FN/BMW, but simply couldn’t see enough of the car!