The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting handle droop
The RP starting handle hangs loose. For my benefit, and that of others, has anyone got pictures of how to effect the cure within the nosecone please?
Hi Nick

I think the accepted way is to mill out the nose cone and fit a new machined insert. I ‘milled’ the nose cone using an old starting handle with the peg sharpened and a bush around it to ensure it was square. I machined an insert and shrunk fit this into the cone (cone in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour and insert in the freezer for the same time.  Unfortunately the insert has rotated slightly in use and I think I would peg it if doing it again.

.jpeg   IMG_1900.jpeg (Size: 103.71 KB / Downloads: 160)
.jpeg   IMG_1901.jpeg (Size: 72.3 KB / Downloads: 159)
.jpeg   IMG_1902.jpeg (Size: 111.69 KB / Downloads: 159)
.jpeg   IMG_1904.jpeg (Size: 114.99 KB / Downloads: 159)

On my special I used an old crank boss again fitted into a machined hole with three grub bolts in drilled and tapped holes in the cone.  That one is solid after 7000 miles.

.jpeg   IMG_1307.jpeg (Size: 84.87 KB / Downloads: 157)

Cheers

Howard
Thanks Howard, that's v helpful. I was wanting to refresh my memory of the internal arrangement before I get to the job in due course.
The other problem is wear between the starting handle and the starting handle housing for which I turned the bearing portion of the handle to I think 7/8", any smaller and you can't fit the spring, then bored and sleeved the housing to suit.      That stops all the road dirt and water from entering the engine.