The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignition puzzle
Thank you, Tony.
It appears that the problem may have been a weak coil. When I tested the one on the car and a spare, both gave a spark when their leads were held against the cylinder head and the engine turned over. But, not having had to do that for decades, I had no recent experience of how intense that spark should be. The other day, after running for a few miles with a slight hesitation, the car stopped dead - there was no spark at all from the coil. Another spare coil I tried (an old silver-bodied Lucas) was different again and produced something akin to a bolt of lightning compared with the feeble one of the original. With the new coil fitted, the performance perked up and the car now runs perfectly. BTW, the original coil was a new one - and I'm always surprised to see so many of the original 'brown-bodied' coils from the late 1920s and into the 1930s still survive in use.
To make the inevitable replacement of the coil easier (it's a long reach under the dash on the Ulster), I made up a pair of short, hollow bolts, bored and threaded them internally and bolted them to the bulkhead. The bolts holding the coil clamp fit into the permanently mounted hollow ones and can be removed externally.
See more about coils at: https://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?t=35282&start=10
I’ve had a lot of issues with “new” coils over the last 18 months.

I use rivnuts on the bulkhead for coils and cut outs.
All my ignition components are nearly as old as the cars as I don't trust Chinese stuff.
My car is still running on its original coil quite happily.
I’m running a new coil I bought from the Seven Workshop about seven years ago…still running okay.
There is certainly a problem with “new” coils and condensers. I think we have to rely on our cherished suppliers, and avoid buying anything from eBay or retailers we do not know. Similarly for for Plugs. I just ring up Green Spark Plugs who are commendably honest.
(06-09-2024, 10:51 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I’ve had a lot of issues with “new” coils over the last 18 months.

I use rivnuts on the bulkhead for coils and cut outs.
When I retrieved PL the floor had been mangled - presumably to get the engine and box out in one piece. Rather than weld the floor back, I thought it easier to make up a repair plate and use rivet nuts; if I need to get the engine out, it'll be a lot easier.

(07-09-2024, 11:10 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: All my ignition components are nearly as old as the cars as I don't trust Chinese stuff.

eBay can provide the occasional "Made in England" coils that should, presumably, be OK - if you really need one. I doubt that anyone has gone to the enormous trouble of manufacturing forgeries.