The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucas cut out

Can somebody identify this Lucas cut-out and fuse box. It's fitted to an RP but I don't believe it's original. Not like a CF or CFR2?

Thanks

Photo with covers removed.    
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
is it not a CF3? from 32/33 time - see if you can see stamp on the edge somewhere...
I am prepared to be corrected on the following, but I seem to recall that, certainly post-war, Lucas only supplied C3 cutouts as replacements for the earlier types.
Not sure I've ever seen a C3. Post war Lucas had moved on from 3 brush dynamos with cut-outs to 2 brush dynamos with regulators, almost always RB106s.

I think JonE is right and it's a CF3. No markings on the front faces so I'll take it off the bulkhead to see what's on the back.
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
I put this up here and it might be handy... https://ulster7.wordpress.com/austin-electrics-h-hale/
Thanks, Hale is always a great reference. Unfortunately the photos of the different cut-outs leave a bit to be desired. I live in hope of finding an original copy or even a better scan. If I ever find it I'll be sure to share it with the good people here.
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
Looks correct for PR for 1933/34.
Hi

Looks like a CFR to me.   CFR = Cutout, Fuse, Resistor so would suit a dynamo without an inbuilt summer charge resistor. The CFR presumably came before the CFR2.

.jpg   Lucas CFR Drawing.jpg (Size: 57.08 KB / Downloads: 126)
.jpg   Lucas CFR Photo.jpg (Size: 36.32 KB / Downloads: 125)