The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Distributor End Float
I took the distributor (DK4A) off to fit a new drive gear bought from Jamie but noticed there is a significant degree of end-float both with the old brass gear and the new steel one.

This is around .048" even though there is a relatively thin Tufnol (?) thrust washer.   This washer seems to be OK although it's quite small in diameter so could I simply fit a steel washer between the new gear and the existing thrust washer.

Alternatively I could possibly cut a washer from the boss of the old gear which would then have the correct bore and be the same diameter as the boss of the new gear but without a lathe I'd have to try to do this by hacksawing and filing.

Any advice?

John.
Hi

The end play should be minimal (a few thou), or the timing will vary.  From memory the standard Tufnol washer is about 30 or 40 thou.  I see no reason why a second washer should not be added to reduce play. The shaft diameter is something odd like 0.48 inches.

I have found a bit of variability in the position of the hole in the gear relative to the face of the boss.  I don't have space for a lathe, but have a couple of friends who have such beasts and just buy them a beer or two if I need a little job done like making a custom Teflon spacer - see pic. Original steel gears are hardened, but if your old one is brass you might be able to cut it down with hand tools. Filing flat could be a challenge !