The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AD Radiator Shell wanted
Hi all,
I'm appealing to our members to ask if anyone has a good serviceable brass radiator shell they would be willing to sell me for a 1929 AD  Seven ( BD 102 PART NUMBER ?)

Ideally no dents, scratches or damaged edges. Plating does not matter as the cowl is to be polished. Winged wheel badge is not required as mine is in very good shape.

The one I have requires a lot of work to get into a decent condition for polishing or plating and I'm not sure if it will respond (deep scratches, dents and badly ruined edges in the lower right hand opening. from contact with the radiator)so I'm hedging my bets by hopefully getting a better one  to replace it.

If you have a suitable shell to sell please contact me. I can arrange to pick it up in person when I visit England in September / October once  a deal is agreed upon.

Thanks,
Stephen
A bit of wear and tear proves its age and is part of its history! I’ve renovated some really bad ones over the years and in many ways, the faded battle scars and scratches are more in keeping with the age of the vehicle, just my tuppence worth!

If you really do want a mint radiator have you considered buying a repro?
I fear that they are difficult to find even in half-decent condition and not cheap. A very good one, complete with a sound radiator core, sold at the PWA7C Club's Stonehourst gathering a couple of weeks ago for £680. But, it is possible to get a very battered and cracked one into immaculate condition. e.g. The immaculate one on my 1929 AD was restored by the previous owner. It cost him the princely sum of 10 shillings back in the day - but needed around 30 hours of work making up sections to let in, silver soldering the extensive cracks, panel beating and then plating. He topped it off with a superb replica radiator cap from a lavatory seat. So, 30 hours at £40/hour = £1200 + plating at £400 (?).
Original brass shells, seem to split over time. New high quality reproduction steel sheels are available and are good enough to chrome with a bit of prep. Available here at £445 www.austin7ulster.com
I'll buy your present rad shell, and you can put the money towards buying a new repro from Tony Betts!
Thanks all for your replies. I am keeping my original shell, and the steel repros sound tempting but I am going to stay with the brass one.
Cheers,
Stephen
If you want it to be repaired I have a small wheeling machine and a selection of stakes ideal for tidying up damaged radiator shells. I'm also a dab hand at silver-soldering repairs...unfortunately the postage from Calgary will not be cheap!
Do you have a local further education college with a sheet-metalwork course for apprentices? The tutor may see it as an opportunity (or am I really living in the past)
(11-06-2024, 01:58 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: If you want it to be repaired I have a small wheeling machine and a selection of stakes ideal for tidying up damaged radiator shells. I'm also a dab hand at silver-soldering repairs...unfortunately the postage from Calgary will not be cheap!
Do you have a local further education college with a sheet-metalwork course for apprentices? The tutor may see it as an opportunity (or am I really living in the past)

Oh for the days when, in Sheffield, one could sign up for a free nightschool machining course and have access to lathes, milliers, shapers, grinders and forging equipment, etc. Plus, of course, a couple of experts to guide one's progress. Now, of course, all long gone.
I had an original shell which was in need of repair. The repaired result was tolerable but I didn’t expect it to be brilliant after plating. However, Prestige Electroplating did a very impressive job at a reasonable price. I think from memory they deposited a heavy layer of copper first and polished it to give a good surface, followed by chromium.

Worth discussing with your local platers.

Regards,

Stuart
Hi Duncan, 
thank you for your kind offer to restore the rad shell I have. The truth be known I already possess all the skills you mention with sheet metal fabrication and repair. My hope was to find another original brass shell that doesn't require the amount of work that mine does to get it into a finished state for polishing.

I appreciate your enthusiasm in trying to resolve my situation though. Thank you.
Cheers,
Stephen