Austinsevenfriends
Just wondering - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Just wondering (/showthread.php?tid=9582)

Just wondering - GM6VXB - 11-09-2024

As it is blowing a gale and heavy rain showers I decided I would look at refurbishing all the
internal door trims in the garage.
Some toffee papers and the attached came out of the drivers side door pocket when the 
trim was turned upside down, which got me wondering.
Was 363 XUN down in Devon at sometime, or was this just a 'flyer' that someone put in the car ?.
The time period around 1994 is a complete mistery for the car with only a few vague hints
of where the car might have been and who owned it.
Not found any information about this event on internet either.

Martin, GM6VXB

RE: Just wondering - stuartu - 11-09-2024

After a bit of googling I came across the Devon Vintage Car Club’s 50th Anniversary magazine. Both Dave Todd and Ken Rogers are mentioned as having been involved with that club and the Cornwood Rally is referred to.
The DVCC have a current website. Perhaps worth dropping them a line to see if anyone remembers your car?

Regards,
Stuart

RE: Just wondering - GM6VXB - 12-09-2024

Stuart,

You Googled better than me !. Found nothing last night but
with your help found the South Devon site today.
Will definately drop them a note as I am struggling
to find any information pre 2018 on the car.
A couple of suspicions such as the 'Rand Motorclub' badge
and an old receipt (not dated) from Thirsk.

Martin, GM6VXB

RE: Just wondering - Ivor Hawkins - 12-09-2024

Do you know the original registration number of the car? That might throw up some information on the attendance list or photographs from the event…

RE: Just wondering - GM6VXB - 13-09-2024

Ivor,

The old registration was VT 9569 which is now registered to a Mercedes C300 AMG.
though it does appear to be for sale on a few websites. Dubious about these though.

Martin, GM6VXB

RE: Just wondering - Ivor Hawkins - 13-09-2024

It would be great to reunite the car with its original registration, but I fear it would cost a Bob or two!

You may be able to find the car by doing an image search, but it may require some perseverance.

RE: Just wondering - Reckless Rat - 13-09-2024

You're lucky that you have been able to identify your car's original registration. Unfortunately for me the original Reg No of my RP was lost well before I bought the car in the 1980s as a result of a three way cherished mark transfer between AN Austin Seven, a Land Rover and a Rolls-Royce. When I acquired the car it was carrying a replacement number that related to a 1930 Austin Seven but which bore no resemblance to my car's chassis or engine numbers. At that time noone really cared, but as I was going to take the car abroad for the D-Day landings 50th in 1994 I thought it would be best to get it sorted rather than have a problem at customs on the way back. The Local Sheffield LVO were consulted but having discovered a nightmare decided to void it due to irregularities in the paper trail. They gave me a replacement number and a new V5.

So my car has gone from 417 VWC to NFF 253 to its current French registration, which uncannily (and purely coincidentally) is the same as it's build date - 8th June 1933 - 8633 YH 30. I'm not complaining!

I have no provenance of my car prior to the early 1980s when it was believed to have belonged to someone in Buxton, or possibly Bakewell. These things happen.