The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Cold enough for you ? - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Cold enough for you ? (/showthread.php?tid=9119)

Pages: 1 2

Cold enough for you ? - Steve Bryant - 14-01-2024

Snow I don't mind, but when mother nature sends extreme arctic air to make brass monkeys take notice, it becomes an issue.

We've been experiencing extreme cold for the last five days with a possible end in sight in three days. If your modern car hasn't got a immersion heater (block heater ) in the engine you haven't a chance of having the car start. Square tires, ultra stiff steering, hard brakes and dead batteries, along with heaters that can barely cope are the order of the day. The roads are supper slick with compacted polished snow on them that road grit and salt have no effect on. Intersections become extremely hazardous  such that you can't get traction to start from a stand still or get enough to stop.

Oh, and the temperature? Approaching minus 40 C  or 40 below zero F/ !!! 

Solution is to stay home dress warmly and enjoy hot tea etc.

Frozen in the great white north,
Stephen

RE: Cold enough for you ? - Reckless Rat - 14-01-2024

By heck that's a bit bracing. Northerners would probably have to wear their flat cap.

RE: Cold enough for you ? - Chris KC - 14-01-2024

Early in my career I did some cold room testing in Helsinki and I remember vividly the odd sensation of moist air freezing inside your nostrils at -40C. Here it's a relatively modest 5C, but for now I'm sticking to indoor pursuits. There's always something to do, indoors or out...

RE: Cold enough for you ? - Hugh Barnes - 14-01-2024

A few years ago I was in Minnesota in the winter and was given a mug of boiling water to throw up into the air. As I did so, it immediately evaporated and then froze, giving a delightful image of glinting frozen water vapour slowly descending to the ground. I recall it was -25C at the time. Bracing...

It is odd though, that there, winters are bone dry and you don't realize immediately how cold it actually is. You just dont want to fall asleep in it, that wouldn't end well...

RE: Cold enough for you ? - Duncan Grimmond - 14-01-2024

I always think of Jack London's tale "To Light a Fire" when it gets really cold. The guesstimate for temperatures was spitting...if it crackles as it lands it's -50 (F), if it crackles before it lands it's -75.
The compounding of errors and unseen hazards in a seemingly simple job ended in death...

RE: Cold enough for you ? - Tony Griffiths - 14-01-2024

Record lows in Canada.  https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/record-breaking-temperatures-as-bc-tight-in-clutch-of-winter-deep-freeze-7296242
It sounds great fun to be out and about in that. I know that, in the past, some cars intended for Canada had a system that allowed them to tick over all night when it was really cold. Is this still the same - or are engine heaters now fitted as standard instead?

RE: Cold enough for you ? - John Mason - 14-01-2024

I am with you on this one Steve. Stay warm indoors and drink copious amounts of tea.

John Mason.

RE: Cold enough for you ? - Tony Griffiths - 15-01-2024

I take a counterpoint of view and find that being out and about in bad weather is, providing one wearing the correct kit, entertaining and even exhilarating. The only occasion when I'd choose not to be lashed with freezing rain or snow, knocked about by strong gusts of wind and enveloped in a thick mist is in a light aircraft - that's the time for tea, cake, and reminiscing.

RE: Cold enough for you ? - andrew34ruby - 15-01-2024

And I thought minus 2 C at ten in the morning was cold.

No flat cap today though Reckless, replaced by a wooly hat pulled down over the ears.

RE: Cold enough for you ? - Duncan Grimmond - 15-01-2024

Our thermometer is showing -3 just now, that doesn’t take wind chill into account, IMHO it’s bally freezin’ here