The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Fettling to Driving Ratio? - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Fettling to Driving Ratio? (/showthread.php?tid=5553)

Pages: 1 2 3

Fettling to Driving Ratio? - Colin Morgan - 20-01-2021

Hi

I heard someone say recently that there are some pre-war cars that are fettled for ten hours, then driven for one, and others that are fettled for one and driven for ten.  My Ruby is in the second category - but there must be Sevens in the first?  Presumably most other makes are also in the first category, as they tend to be seen out on the road less often?

Colin

RE: Fettling to Driving Ratio - Reckless Rat - 20-01-2021

Definitely category 2 for me, for all my (5) cars

RE: Fettling to Driving Ratio - Alan - 20-01-2021

My race Ulster is definitely Cat 1. The others verging on Cat3.

RE: Fettling to Driving Ratio - John Mason - 20-01-2021

My Ruby was cat. 2 until I had to surrender my driving licence due to poor eyesight. It is now Cat 1 but soon as the Covid restrictions are lifted and my son can visit hopefully we will be back in cat. 2

John Mason.

RE: Fettling to Driving Ratio - Colin Morgan - 20-01-2021

So how might Cat 3 be defined? After a few hours fettling I might drive a few hundred miles - but not a few thousand?

RE: Fettling to Driving Ratio - Steve Jones - 20-01-2021

Whilst my Ulster is a road car, it's main activity is hillclimbs and sprints so certainly in Cat 1. SWB Saloon is Cat 3 going on Cat 4, I'm afraid, being expected to 'go' at a minutes notice.

Trials Chummy is in Cat nothing as, despite being 'on the button', it hasn't turned a wheel since Autumn 2019 and, as I've finally retired from trialling, could be for sale to the right buyer!

Steve

RE: Fettling to Driving Ratio - Hedd_Jones - 20-01-2021

They are usually in the 1st category only when first put on the road, it then gets better and better. For info I'm about 17years of fettling vs 0 hours on the road for my steam roller

RE: Fettling to Driving Ratio - David Stepney - 20-01-2021

Definitely Cat. 3 or 4 for my RP. Having spent the first several months of getting the car sorted and reliable after 25 years asleep in garage, it now goes on the button even if left for a week or two, and receives only routine maintenance every 1250 miles, with oil changes every 2500. Seems to work as the only thing I have had to deal with between services was a blown stop and tail bulb.

RE: Fettling to Driving Ratio - phillips - 20-01-2021

Hi, well our Ruby is Category 2+. S&P.  In lock down and still waiting for my jab. Angry

RE: Fettling to Driving Ratio - Robert Foreman - 20-01-2021

I  fettle only castings.