The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Benjamin - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Benjamin (/showthread.php?tid=4418)

Pages: 1 2

Benjamin - Robin Boyce - 25-05-2020

The Benjamin horn on my 12 volt Chummy works well but I worry that it won't last.  Is there some way that I can help it, explained in simple terms?

RE: Benjamin - Ian Williams - 25-05-2020

Convert your chummy back to 6V and the whole thing will be more happy

RE: Benjamin - Robert Foreman - 25-05-2020

All you need to do is fit a resistor in line.

RE: Benjamin - Renaud - 25-05-2020

(25-05-2020, 10:40 AM)Robert Foreman Wrote: All you need to do is fit a resistor in line.
Agreed!
As resistor one can use a short length (around half a meter, to be tested!) of thin (1 mm) MIG stainless steel wire wrapped on some insulator (wood).

RE: Benjamin - Malcolm Parker - 25-05-2020

My RL saloon has a Benjamin horn that came out of a farmers outbuilding.   It was given to me in the late 1980's.  I brushed the rust off it and opened it up, the inside was quite good and when I connected up a 12 volt battery, it worked fine.   I duly fitted it to the saloon in 1998 and it has been working well ever since on 12 volts.  in my part of the world it gets used quite a lot.  I have never worried about it wearing out.   Presumably on 6 volts it will not be so strident!

RE: Benjamin - Dave Mann - 26-05-2020

I found that the Benjamin horn worked OK on 12 volts whilst the Rist horn didn't like it. My solution was to fit a dynamo field resistor in series with the horn. However I found that modern car drivers couldn't hear my Rist horn so I replaced it with the twin air horns father had on his Rover 2000, they hear that.

RE: Benjamin - Robin Boyce - 27-05-2020

Thanks everyone, Benjamin and I are now happy.
Dave, I have a very loud Klaxon horn which would be more in keeping, if there was space under the bonnet to conceal it

RE: Benjamin - David Stepney - 27-05-2020

My RP saloon has its original Rists horn. Unkind people say it sounds like a duck!

RE: Benjamin - Terry McGrath - 27-05-2020

My RF Rists horn wouldn't frighten a duck.

RE: Benjamin - Tony Griffiths - 27-05-2020

As people stand and stare - and smile broadly - as you drive past in your Seven, a toot on the Rist or Benjamin only adds to the entertainment. Some expensive cars used to have a "town and country" setting for their horns - gentlemanly progress thus assured. Horn stories? I had a Citroen AX Diesel whose horn was a miserable, pipi-squeak affair; I replaced it with a pair of loud and stately-sounding two-tone jobs from a retired Triumph 2000; the amusing thing was, that when used, everyone looked around for a bigger and more stately carriage.