The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Front shockabsorber - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Front shockabsorber (/showthread.php?tid=4314)

Pages: 1 2

Front shockabsorber - Paul Nott - 05-05-2020

Hi all 
With more time on my hands between bouts of home schooling and gardening I've felt the need to disappear to the garage on a regular basis and thought I'd tackle the overhaul of the front shockabsorber. 
Originally I was inclined to replace with a double arm unit, however after reading previous comments it seams the advantages of this unit are limited?
However, dyou can see from the photos the unit is quite rusty, in your opinion is it serviceable or should I replace and if so to what?
I also need a new radius arm chassis plate ball, I already have the brass cups but finding it difficult to locate a plate, have tried Tony but unfortunately he is out of stock. Any idea of suppliers?

RE: Front shockabsorber - "Slack Alice" Simon - 05-05-2020

Not rusty by my standards.

The assembly doesn't look right, and I haven't seen the spider spring doubled like that before.

RE: Front shockabsorber - Dave Mann - 05-05-2020

Maybe the guy who fitted the twin spider spring got fed up with them breaking, I must have binned dozens of broken ones. I've refurbished rustier ones than that with the aid of various rust removing fluids.

RE: Front shockabsorber - Bob Culver - 05-05-2020

There should not be two disc surfaces in contact. It is not ideal if the rubbing surfaces are very pitted, esp if uisng expensive discs. I vaguely recall the Big Seven has a thin brass disc held in place by being punched into indentations in three or so spots. Could possibly revive with somesuh, using steel for cheapness.

RE: Front shockabsorber - Mike Costigan - 05-05-2020

Brass discs were fitted to Rubys too.

RE: Front shockabsorber - Henry Harris - 05-05-2020

Brass discs were only fitted to the rear shock absorbers. Late Ruby and Big Seven.

RE: Front shockabsorber - Mike Costigan - 05-05-2020

Ah yes, Henry, rears only - but all Rubys, not just late models.

RE: Front shockabsorber - Charles Levien - 05-05-2020

Hi Paul,

When you get the thing sorted out and ready to put back you could consider a simple but effective mod that a lot of people do — to help reduce lateral movement attach the shocker arm directly to the axle on one side. Cut one of the alloy pieces in 1/2 and use this as a spacer. It’s an old trick!

RE: Front shockabsorber - Paul Nott - 05-05-2020

Has anyone any pictures of this mod?

RE: Front shockabsorber - Peter Clayton - 05-05-2020

Not sure on this mod myself, as the arm length would appear to be too short to allow this to be done without of setting the axle. Please tell me I'm missing something .