The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... (/showthread.php?tid=1292)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Ian Williams - 10-06-2018

Can we have a picture of the boot lid/hinge problem please, how were they fitted originally?

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Ruairidh Dunford - 10-06-2018

The boot is being worked on just now Ian, I am keen to hear how others building similar have solved the hinge. It is a simple affair, just two.

Many thanks.

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Ian Williams - 10-06-2018

Presumably they are attached to the alloy skin and you need a backing? That could take the form of a block of shaped wood which I guess is how they were done, or a shaped piece of steel with some threaded inserts riveted inside the skin, you have probably thought of both these which is why I am intrigued by the problem, is it more complicated than I am imagining?

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Ruairidh Dunford - 10-06-2018

They are attached to wood in the tail and the boot lid cover Ian, nothing complicated or fancy whatsoever. There is not really a problem, just tapping for some previous experience.

There are a number of Forum users who have built up Cup models and I am keen to know what they used, many thanks.

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Peter Johnson - 11-06-2018

The only photo I have to hand is this one. The hinges are nothing special, although they would be better in stainless. I have drilled and tapped a plate to sit in the back as it is difficult to get a nut and washer into the small space behind. 

I’ll try to get a better photo later. 

Peter

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Ruairidh Dunford - 11-06-2018

Thank you Peter, can you remember where you got them please?

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Peter Johnson - 11-06-2018

PM sent!

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - AllAlloyCup - 11-06-2018

Hi Ruairidh 

A pal at the local Men’s Shed sold me these hinges for £10
Which he had leftover from some work on his Church Hall.

Very, very solid brass so may plate them
Nickel with my home plating outfit.

Not original I know but stronger than most.

Regards

Bill G

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Ruairidh Dunford - 11-06-2018

Thank you Bill.

RE: Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum... - Graham Honnor - 11-06-2018

If it's any interest to you, that design is called a Parliament hinge and from memory Screwfix do them in stainless steel
for about £15.