The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Sump Leak - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Sump Leak (/showthread.php?tid=3264)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Sump Leak - Ruairidh Dunford - 02-09-2019

... or annually, whichever comes first...

RE: Sump Leak - David Stepney - 02-09-2019

I'd second that. Service the car once a year. Its surprising just how much a car deteriorates when standing idle.

RE: Sump Leak - Bob Culver - 02-09-2019

Service intervals based on the lubricants of the time are outdated. Unless something is peculiarly wrong the gauze should not need cleaning. And if the gearbox and diff are not producing silver paint in abundance lengthy change periods can apply. (the impecunious can pourall oils  through a filter!) Unless wading if the wheel bearings alone and immedite surrounding is packed with grease wiil last until next dismantling for some other reason. Filling the hubs invites trouble.
Engine oil circulation on start up is not a problem with the Seven system and modest loadings. Originally many cars ran on 50 grade. Friction, leakage, burning rate and noise the main factors.
The kingpins and rear shackles cannot be greased too often, preferbaly with weight off then on.

RE: Sump Leak - JonE - 23-09-2021

I've been trying to trace irritating leaks from the sump bolts over the last few days. I note this thread say get rid of spring washers. I've been putting some plumbers tape around the thread and they are nice and dry now. I thought one was particularly hard to cure then realised there is a tiny hole in the pan very near the join of the rim and the vertical. Enough for a drip to form, which I'd only previously been seeing when it reached the top of the neighbouring bolt!
So, test your pans with water - up to the flange - before bolting them up onto an engine. Difficult to see such things with generally slightly-bashed-about sumps.

RE: Sump Leak - Hedd_Jones - 23-09-2021

The Gordon england rolling chassis that flies in the shed used to have a sump full of clean oil, added to by the diesel I kept pouring down the bores. When I took it to bits, it was almost totally empty.

When I cleaned the sump, a big lump of scale came off, under which was a hole. 

I assume the sump full of oil is actually lubricating the roof in my steam tractor.

RE: Sump Leak - dickie65 - 23-09-2021

Some of the sump bolts are in through holes. The front ones from memory.

RE: Sump Leak - Dave Mann - 24-09-2021

Because of the lack of an oil filter I do engine oil changes at 1000 miles

RE: Sump Leak - andrew34ruby - 24-09-2021

(24-09-2021, 08:33 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: Because of the lack of an oil filter I do engine oil changes at 1000 miles

I think the various leaks change the oil about every 1,000 miles.

RE: Sump Leak - Dave Mann - 25-09-2021

What oil leaks?

RE: Sump Leak - Reckless Rat - 26-09-2021

I think Austin called it "Automatic chassis lubrication"