The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manifold Stud Sealing
Question 
Hi

Just running in a newly rebuilt engine, newly rebuilt by me that is.  Thought I had taken ultimate care.  All running well except for water ** leaking from several manifold studs especially No 2 and No 6 Angry   I used Wellseal on the threads during assembly, but this is clearly unsuitable.

I plan to remove the manifolds and studs (should be easy enough after only 30 miles running) and re-seal with something better.

Suggestions for a sure-fire cure ??

** I do mean water, haven't bothered with antifreeze just yet !

On the plus side, no Oil leaks Smile
It might well just stop leaking with a bit more running.
Jim
Hi John

I’ve just had to do this on two studs that pulled out. Helicoil and mild Loctite seems to have done the trick.

I put some on the Helicoil before inserting it as well as the stud.

Cheers

Howard
I have got into the habit of adding some Barr’s Leaks to the cooling system after any major engine work. Cures all those niggly leaks that seem to plague our cars.
I use a sealant compound designed for steam pipe threads and available from good plumbing suppliers here in NZ.
Black Art Enthusiast
I use a similar sealant on my manifold studs, called Heldite…haven’t had an issue so far.
I use a red compound called STAG jointing paste - steam & water joints plus it's fuel proof. I put a wipe onto the threads in all the holes using an ear bud dipped into the stuff & then dip each bolt into the mixture before assembly. It's thick like toffee & clings to the bolts.

Aye
Greig
I use Stag as well. Great for sealing water leaking past head studs too. It is also great for sealing petrol unions on carbys and petrol pumps to save having to risk over tightening those easily damaged threads.
Barrs leaks or similar solved all my water leaks.
I would also follow the suggested sealing compound on the studs
Many thanks for the suggestions.

I have too many non-Austin distractions at the moment, but will report back on any fix. I think the leak rate is more than Barrs can cope with.